Solved

Trains unavailable trains - Italy, Greece, Portugal to Spain. Why?

• 18 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Hiya! so my partner and I are planning our travelling and were looking to get the 3 month global pass. however when I was looking at the train routes to see how long they would take a few trains were coming up as times unavailable. for example the Lisbon to Madrid service has no trains running at first I thought it was because of how in advance I was looking to book (between September 2022 - mid November 2022) but I checked other services that were available in the start of September to see if they could be booked in mid November and they could. I wasn’t sure why these trains weren't available and couldn’t find an answer anywhere online so hopefully someone can answer and help out!

The trains and dates that came up as unavailable were:

• Lisbon to Madrid 11/09/22
  • Rome to Bari 12/10/22
  • Igoumenitsa  to Patras 30/10/22
  • Patras to Athens 03/11/22

If someone knows the answer to this it would be greatly appreciated! :)

icon

Best answer by seewulf 18 January 2022, 14:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Italy havend published the timetable for the 2nd half of the year small timetsvle change on 12th June 

Lisbon- Mardrid currently no direct trains atleast 2 changes needed :/ 

Greece doesnt share the timetable :/ from Patras to Athens you can look on the Website of "Trainose" greek rail for the connection 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Igoumenitsa is in Greece and there's no rail connection. If you're coming from Bari, then there's a direct ferry Bari - Patras (via Igoumenitsa) run by Superfast (Interrail is valid but you'll still need to pay for accommodation and certain taxes/surcharges).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@rvdborgt on Superfast you get just a discount with the Globalpass 

The greek Island pass 6days users can travel for "free"

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt on Superfast you get just a discount with the Globalpass

Superfast say clearly that on their international lines, the deck passage is free (dormitory/airline style seat in 1st class).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@rvdborgt 

Hmm strange. I asked them and they said no the Free trips are only for Greek Island pass holders like mentioned on the Interrail information pages https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/trains-europe/ferries/superfast-ferries

I will ask them once more with the link to their own page :D
Thanks rvdborgt :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@rian and seewolf: I checked-as there were so many recent Qs about that ferryline and when trying to make a dummy-booking: there is NO way to enter anything like IR/Eurl, they state a 30% discount for junior and 20 or so for senior. There are also basic/shoulder and peak prices.

In other sites I´ve read that it is merged with another ferryline (there used to be several doing Gr-IT to various ports) but since corona the nr of trips has been much reduced and it also seems some of those companies have pooled together.

In the distant past-remember, old IR-passholders? before 2000: then it was like you could only get free IPA=stand by places on the port-office after the cut-off (3-4 hrs before departure) for other types of booking-so in hi-season many would left stranded and try again next day-or cough up for normal tickets to make sure.

But it would be nice and helpful if someone has the uptodate info on how it works for now. (and do not believe at all the statements in the Eu/IR site-in fact I would like to start a topic like ´spot the errors!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mcadv  There is a topic like spot the errors :) And @rvdborgt  and i post regularry errors that we found on the pages of Eurail/Interrail in this topic :) (I guess you can´t see it as it´s in a own category)