Solved

Traveling through your own country muliple times. How do I use inbound and outbound journeys?

• 25 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Hey, 

I am from Germany and want to travel Stuttgart - Prag - Warsaw - Amsterdam - Antwerpen - Bruxelles - Paris- Stuttgart. But this would mean, that I would travel trough my home country of Germany three times in total. 1. Stuttgart - Prag 2. Warsaw - Amsterdam 3. Paris - Stuttgart. So 1. Would be my outbound journey and 2. my inbound journey. And for 3. I would travel Paris - Strasbourg (with the Interrailpass) and then book a normal train from Strasbourg to Stuttgart. 

Would this plan work? Because I am not sure about how the inbound and outbound journeys work, from my understanding I can travel 2 days inside of Germany with the inbound and outbound journey, or am I misunderstanding something.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me. 

icon

Best answer by Al_G 25 July 2022, 11:18

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

yes, that seems like the most sensible use of the pass for your itinerary.

First of all, thank you for the fast reply.
But wouldn’t my trip from Warsaw to Amsterdam be considered both an inbound and outbound journey at the same time, since while crossing Germany (my home country) along the way, I am entering and leaving it in the same day?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

First of all, thank you for the fast reply.
But wouldn’t my trip from Warsaw to Amsterdam be considered both an inbound and outbound journey at the same time, since while crossing Germany (my home country) along the way, I am entering and leaving it in the same day?  

Yes indeed, the Schrödinger’s cat of interrailing.

Luckily there is no rule on how that journey is achieved, nothing suggesting you can’t transit through your home country to make a stop off on your way home.

Again thank you so much for the help. 

But could you tell me exactly what you mean by „Luckily there is no rule on how that journey is achieved, nothing suggesting you can’t transit through your home country to make a stop off on your way home.“

So would the trip from Warsaw to Amsterdam be considered an inbound or outbound journey ? Or can I decide which one it should count as? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

When you have a Global Pass you can travel in your home country on a maximum of two travel days. During these travel days (00.00-23.59 CET/CEST) you can use as many trains as you like.

Ok so I could go from Warsaw to Amsterdam without it counting as an inbound and an outbound journey, because I will do it in one travel day right ?