Solved

Using Traveldays within my Country/ Reisen ins Wohnsitzlaund/insAusland

• Right on track
  • 7 replies

English (german below/Deutsch unten)

I understand that you have 2 travel days to get out of country and to get back into your country (of residence). 
My Plan is to use IC40600 from Karlsruhe to Hamburg and then moving from Hamburg to Kobenhaven. The Train departs at 23.06 and apparently there for those 54 minutes are my travelday inside my country of residence. (and german trains are never punctual). 
Is it actually necessary that I book a later train?

So wie ich es verstehe hat man 2 Reisetage um in und aus dem Wohnsitzland zu reisen. Ich würde gerne den IC40600 von Karlsruhe nach Hamburg nutzen und anschliessend von Hamburg nach Kopenhagen fahren. Der Zug fährt um 23.06 ab und dadurch wird anscheinend jener Tag bzw jene 54 min als dieser Reisetag angezeigt. Ist es tatsächlich notwendig jetzt ne Stunde später den zug zu nehmen? Ist ja ziemlich unlogisch gemacht. Dauernd alles flexibel reden aber 0-24 uhr einstellen statt ein 24 stündiges zeitfenster. Totaler quatsch.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 2 October 2022, 20:01

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The rule is that on any travel day you can take any number of trains scheduled between 0000 and 2359 CET/CEST, irrespective of their departure time if delayed. If you leave your last train after 0000 the next day (say from a sleeper) your next train will require another travel day.

The in/out rule is relatively simple - On ANY 2 travel days in your pass you can at your discretion travel in your own country on unlimited trains to assist your journeys. This can be over borders or completely within your own country - e.g. to get to or from an airport or a ferry terminal.

Note they do not have to be accompanied by a train journey outside your home country on that day. So you could fly into the UK from your home country and spend a couple of days in London before starting your train adventure (or any other country of course)

I used the 2 I/O days on my last pass to to fly out twice and return twice by Eurostar and local trains to Leeds.

Your example of taking 2 trains and the last departing a German station before 2359 means you would only use one of your In/Out travel days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Ja genau, ein Reisetag startet ab Mitternacht Mittel Europäischer Zeit. 

Kleiner Trost, wenn du vor Mitternacht im einem Zug einsteigst und der Zug OHNE UMSTIEG am nächsten Tag ankommt, nutzt du nur einen Tag. 

Apropos Flexibel, bitte nicht vergessen das manche Züge Reservierungen verpflichtend haben, vor allem Hochgeschwindigkeitszüge in Frankreich, Italien, Schweden, Züge in Spanien oder Nachtzüge (in diesem Fall nicht in den Sitzwagen, wenn diese als IC der DB laufen)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So wie ich es verstehe hat man 2 Reisetage um in und aus dem Wohnsitzland zu reisen. Ich würde gerne den IC40600 von Karlsruhe nach Hamburg nutzen und anschliessend von Hamburg nach Kopenhagen fahren. Der Zug fährt um 23.06 ab und dadurch wird anscheinend jener Tag bzw jene 54 min als dieser Reisetag angezeigt. Ist es tatsächlich notwendig jetzt ne Stunde später den zug zu nehmen?

Du kannst auch für Karlsruhe - Frankfurt (1. Bahnhof nach Mitternacht) ein separates Ticket kaufen. Oder für Hamburg - Flensburg(Gr)/Padborg.

The rule is that on any travel day you can take any number of trains scheduled between 0000 and 2359 CET/CEST, irrespective of their departure time if delayed. If you leave your last train after 0000 the next day (say from a sleeper) your next train will require another travel day.

The in/out rule is relatively simple - On ANY 2 travel days in your pass you can at your discretion travel in your own country on unlimited trains to assist your journeys. This can be over borders or completely within your own country - e.g. to get to or from an airport or a ferry terminal.

Note they do not have to be accompanied by a train journey outside your home country on that day. So you could fly into the UK from your home country and spend a couple of days in London before starting your train adventure (or any other country of course)

I used the 2 I/O days on my last pass to to fly out twice and return twice by Eurostar and local trains to Leeds.

Your example of taking 2 trains and the last departing a German station before 2359 means you would only use one of your In/Out travel days.

as i live in southern germany and am taking a trip to scandinavia with my friend I have to travel through the entirety of Germany. I intented to start my journey in germany at 23, switching the train at 8 still in germany and then cross the border in the morning. So that would count as 2 I/O days apparently. For the Return I would take a sleeper from Malmo at 22 and switch in germany at 8/9 am to a highspeedtrain back home. As I switch in the morning both times that would not be possible if I understand you correctly

thanks for taking your time on my question!

Ja genau, ein Reisetag startet ab Mitternacht Mittel Europäischer Zeit. 

Kleiner Trost, wenn du vor Mitternacht im einem Zug einsteigst und der Zug OHNE UMSTIEG am nächsten Tag ankommt, nutzt du nur einen Tag. 

Apropos Flexibel, bitte nicht vergessen das manche Züge Reservierungen verpflichtend haben, vor allem Hochgeschwindigkeitszüge in Frankreich, Italien, Schweden, Züge in Spanien oder Nachtzüge (in diesem Fall nicht in den Sitzwagen, wenn diese als IC der DB laufen)

Die Reservierungen hab ich schon alle für die Sleeper, bin am überlegen jetzt für den I/O andere Züge zu buchen und die sleeper zu stornieren weil die Züge der DB so unverschämt teuer sind im vergleich zu den Sleepern zB. Dass es keine Direktzüge gibt ist ja eigentlich ein Verschulden der Bahnbetriebe und dass es 0-24 uhr heisst statt einem variablem 24 stunden fenstee scheint mir anders als im ticket angepriesen extrem unflexibel. Sehr schade.

danke dass du dir Zeit genommen hast mir auf meine Frage zu antworten

So wie ich es verstehe hat man 2 Reisetage um in und aus dem Wohnsitzland zu reisen. Ich würde gerne den IC40600 von Karlsruhe nach Hamburg nutzen und anschliessend von Hamburg nach Kopenhagen fahren. Der Zug fährt um 23.06 ab und dadurch wird anscheinend jener Tag bzw jene 54 min als dieser Reisetag angezeigt. Ist es tatsächlich notwendig jetzt ne Stunde später den zug zu nehmen?

Du kannst auch für Karlsruhe - Frankfurt (1. Bahnhof nach Mitternacht) ein separates Ticket kaufen. Oder für Hamburg - Flensburg(Gr)/Padborg.

Problem ist das jene Tickets teurer sind als die reservierungen für die Sleeper

danke dass du dir die Zeit  genommen hast auf meine frage zu antworten

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just a small apology - I read your first post as the final train setting off at 23:06 not your first train.

So the only question is whether there is an alternative routing from Karlsruhe that would depart after midnight and have a much cheaper first ticket. 

I see your IC has a reservation of 3 euro but that will be in a seat, not the sleeper.

You can though leave at 0120 to Frankfurt and then catch an ICE 1088 to Hamburg for 0856.

There are onward trains throughout the day

.I think all these are reservation free.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I need some advice from others as well, but it may be possible for you to catch the 1144 EN 497 and split your pass into 2 firstly Malmo to Copenhagen where it stops after midnight and then from Cop to Ham. Then your onward journey will be in the same travel day.

Since reservations are not attached to your pass you can book the reservation for the full journey, just splitting your pass/ticket into 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I need some advice from others as well, but it may be possible for you to catch the 1144 EN 497 and split your pass into 2 firstly Malmo to Copenhagen where it stops after midnight and then from Cop to Ham. Then your onward journey will be in the same travel day.

Since reservations are not attached to your pass you can book the reservation for the full journey, just splitting your pass/ticket into 2.

@Rndm For your journey back to Germany you should follow the advice from @Yorkie and split your journey from Malmö to Hamburg in 2 parts. One part from Malmö to a station in Denmark that the train leaves after midnight, either Copenhagen or Padborg, and a second part from that station and to Hamburg. Then your inbound travel day will be the arrival day of the nighttrain in Hamburg and you can continue from Hamburg to your home town.

Just a small apology - I read your first post as the final train setting off at 23:06 not your first train.

So the only question is whether there is an alternative routing from Karlsruhe that would depart after midnight and have a much cheaper first ticket. 

I see your IC has a reservation of 3 euro but that will be in a seat, not the sleeper.

You can though leave at 0120 to Frankfurt and then catch an ICE 1088 to Hamburg for 0856.

There are onward trains throughout the day

.I think all these are reservation free.

The IC doesnt even necessarily require the 3 euro reservation and i took it before already the seating is very nice. I have now decided to take said train but buy a separate ticket until frankfurt. Though it’s unfortunate that I need to do that as it costs 20€. A 24-h time window instead of the fixed I/O days would solve that.

thank you so much for the advice!:)

The Issue is that i need to get from Hamburg to Karlsruhe and taking a sleeper that crosses the border (to germany) doesnt allow that unfortunately. Therefore I am only allowed to take a train (that crosses the border) after midnight and take a sleeper later that day from Hamburg to Karlsruhe so that I can sleep

@Rndm For your journey back to Germany you should follow the advice from @Yorkie and split your journey from Malmö to Hamburg in 2 parts. One part from Malmö to a station in Denmark that the train leaves after midnight, either Copenhagen or Padborg, and a second part from that station and to Hamburg. Then your inbound travel day will be the arrival day of the nighttrain in Hamburg and you can continue from Hamburg to your home town.

The train that I booked was NT301 from Malmo C to Hamburg from 22.10 to 5.31 

I did now cancel that as I booked it with interrail pass reduction and it only stops once in denmark.

as i have to continue from Hamburg to Karlsruhe I can only take either one of the trains. Therefore I now had to decide to take regional trains in the morning from Padborg to Hamburg and later on a sleeper from there to Karlsruhe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I did now cancel that as I booked it with interrail pass reduction and it only stops once in denmark.

You could have taken the night train and added a stop in your Trip in Padborg before midnight even if the train doesn't actually stop there. You could have add the journey manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You could have taken the night train and added a stop in your Trip in Padborg before midnight even if the train doesn't actually stop there. You could have add the journey manually.

Indeed, that is the workaround as long as this bug is still in the app. Many people have already used it.

Habe den Interrail Global Pass mit einer Gültigkeit für 3 MONATE gekauft, ist es richtig daß selbst bei diesem Pass nur 2 Tage für Reisen im Wohnsitzland enthalten sind?

Das würde ja bedeuten daß ich für eine Auslandsreise nach der Nutzung dieser 2 Tage den Pass erst nutzen kann wenn ich Deutschland verlassen habe!? Oder habe ich da irgendetwas falsch verstanden?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Habe den Interrail Global Pass mit einer Gültigkeit für 3 MONATE gekauft, ist es richtig daß selbst bei diesem Pass nur 2 Tage für Reisen im Wohnsitzland enthalten sind?

Das ist richtig.

Das würde ja bedeuten daß ich für eine Auslandsreise nach der Nutzung dieser 2 Tage den Pass erst nutzen kann wenn ich Deutschland verlassen habe!?

Der Pass gilt dann ab dem Grenztarifpunkt. Du kannst aber selber bestimmen, für welche Fahrten du den Pass einsetzen willst. Dus kannst dir also die teuersten Fahrten aussuchen und dafür den Pass benutzen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Das würde ja bedeuten daß ich für eine Auslandsreise nach der Nutzung dieser 2 Tage den Pass erst nutzen kann wenn ich Deutschland verlassen habe!? Oder habe ich da irgendetwas falsch verstanden?

Das Problem ist das Interrail keine nationalen Angebote unterbieten soll.(Soll ja dazu dienen fremde Länder zuentdecken)

4x 3Monats Interrailpässe sind günstiger als eine Bahncard 100. oder der frühere 3Tages nun 4Tages Interrailpass ist oftmals günstiger als eine Hin und Rückfahrt in Deutschland oder United Kingdom. (Einer der Grunde warum die Britischen Gesellschaften vor wenigen Jahren aussteigen wollte es aber zum Glück nicht taten. Seitdem gibt es den 4Tages Pass anstelle des 3Tages pass der begrenzt die Routen wo Interrail billiger als Nationale Angebote ist erheblich.) 

Und speziell mit dem 50% Angebot hat es besonders gut funktioniert. Ich kenne einige Vielreisende die von ihren Firmen 3-5 Interrailpässe aus dem 50% Flash Sale erhalten haben um ihre Geschäftsreisen damit abzudecken. 

Eurail (die Firma) wird in Zukunft schauen wie sich das Angebot verbessern kann. Aktuell gibt es einige Bahnen die den Pässen entgegen stehen und es schwer machen die Pässe im deren Bahnetz zunutzen. Es ist immer eine grad wanderung zwischen Bahnen im Verbund zuhalten und neue dazu zugewinnen.