Solved

When to Book reservations for my train.

• 5 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi there,

I have read through a lot of the topics about reservation timing and I want to make sure I understand when I am able to make reservations for my trips. 3 of my 5 planned Train journeys have reservation requirements.

1 Domestic round trip in Poland (Krakow to Oscweicm) on June 16.

1 Train from Krakow to Prague on the 17th.

1 Overnight train from Munich to Paris on the 25th.

If I have read the posts correctly it means I can start making reservations 30 days, 60 days, and 3 months in advance respectively. Is that correct?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 5 February 2023, 11:16

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@1. NO this is PolRegio=local train (IF it still is-if it is now Malopolskie then NO pass valid). ANyway-I assume you do a daytrip and the local fare is much, much lower as the cost of 1 passday. Most people simply book a minibus in that hoStel in Krkw-ad that is likely indeed the more easy way.

@2. depends on what you want -seat or sleeper. Again I see you stay a few days in Krkw (which is indeed a beautiful city with lots to offer the toruist) so just do it right after arrival there-go to a window/counter! Anyway, I am not sure if can do online, perhaps via cd.cz, and then maybe, perhaps 2 month advance-but shorter is also possible

@3. try now or asap via nightjet.com. This train as such does not daily overnight.

About any newbee here will also get a welcome from anna b fra Sverige or others with a link to a long list-well, you must have seen it-and this has an overview to where best to RES it all. Terms are not that fixed-most railways put on some weeks in 1 go some time-or later when there are works feared that may cause the need for different routing or timing. Do not sweat-this is not RENFE and not super-over-busy routes nor times, you will be OK even if you do it 2 days or even 2 weeks after they open. Y buenes viajes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Nightjet trains can normally be booked 180 days in advance but maybe Munich to Paris is an exception. It seems to be 3 months currently (bookable until the 29 April departure from Vienna). You want to book this night train as soon as it opens, especially if you want a couchette or a sleeper, which are already becoming scarce for the end of April.

Nightjet trains can normally be booked 180 days in advance but maybe Munich to Paris is an exception. It seems to be 3 months currently (bookable until the 29 April departure from Vienna). You want to book this night train as soon as it opens, especially if you want a couchette or a sleeper, which are already becoming scarce for the end of April.

Thanks for that, I have a date set in my Calendar for March 24 (3 months before June 25) to make the reservation.

@1. NO this is PolRegio=local train (IF it still is-if it is now Malopolskie then NO pass valid). ANyway-I assume you do a daytrip and the local fare is much, much lower as the cost of 1 passday. Most people simply book a minibus in that hoStel in Krkw-ad that is likely indeed the more easy way.

@2. depends on what you want -seat or sleeper. Again I see you stay a few days in Krkw (which is indeed a beautiful city with lots to offer the toruist) so just do it right after arrival there-go to a window/counter! Anyway, I am not sure if can do online, perhaps via cd.cz, and then maybe, perhaps 2 month advance-but shorter is also possible

@3. try now or asap via nightjet.com. This train as such does not daily overnight.

About any newbee here will also get a welcome from anna b fra Sverige or others with a link to a long list-well, you must have seen it-and this has an overview to where best to RES it all. Terms are not that fixed-most railways put on some weeks in 1 go some time-or later when there are works feared that may cause the need for different routing or timing. Do not sweat-this is not RENFE and not super-over-busy routes nor times, you will be OK even if you do it 2 days or even 2 weeks after they open. Y buenes viajes.

1. Thank you. I was planning on making a reservation for this day as I booked the 5 train day pass with this in mind. Now I might do a daytrip from prague if I decide to not use this day for auschwitz.
  2. It is not a night train I am going during the day as I cannot find any night trains with no transfers. I’ll keep in mind the 2-month in advance window
  3. The nightjet website doesn’t have Paris as an option for a station??? I can’t find the ability to make reservations for this anythere. But I think I need to wait for 3 months in advance as per the other comment and also the DBB Website.

Thanks for your help