Solved

1st time to travel with a 1 year old

• 24 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi, Im Rachel and I am from the Philippines. I’ll be travelling to Eu this coming November.  My destiinations are, Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice, Switzerland and Paris. I was Wondering what to avail for the tickets for transfer? What should I get exactly? Is my 1 yr old free of charge or not? Thankyou for your help!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 24 October 2023, 07:16

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Decide how many pass days you might need. Keep in mind the mandatory reservations on top of the Eurail Global Pass :

- 13€ Frecciarossa between Italian cities

- 13€ EC Italy - Switzerland

- 29€ TGV Switzerland - Paris or

- 10-20€ TGV within France (from Mulhouse or Strasbourg for example)

High-speed trains in Italy have availability on the day but TGVs to Paris need to be booked in advance.

More info : https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm

Advance tickets are quite cheap in Italy (Trenitalia, Italo.) so it might be better value to buy a shorter Eurail Global Pass for Switzerland + journey to Paris.

Where are you heading to in Switzerland ? :)

Your child doesn't have to pay anything but he won't have a seat. You could always get a free child pass and then pay for seat reservations for them too.

Hi! Im confused with the Eurail pass and Visitor pass? Should i get Visitor pass for Local trains in Switzerland and Paris?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Eurail Global Pass is a travel pass valid on the vast majority of European railways. On a pass day you can take an unlimited number of trains.

There’s no need to buy a Swiss Travel Pass honestly. The main difference is that it covers buses and trams within cities while Eurail doesn’t. It is a very expensive option dedicated to tourists.

Eurail doesn’t cover Interlaken Ost - Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen and above but you get a 25% discount. Tickets aren’t that expensive anyway.

Both passes give 25% discount on trains from Grindelwald/Wengen to Jungfraujoch. It is a very expensive journey. Honestly don’t go there unless the sky is clear. You do not have to buy tickets in advance.

RER/Métros in Paris are not covered by Eurail. You’ll have to get separate tickets or day passes when you get there.

Hello how about in Paris? As a visitor torurist, should i get a pass?

Should I get one Eurail pass and 1 visitor pass ( for local trains) to cross paris?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I don't know how it works there. I only used paper tickets but they are being discontinued.

A city pass is rarely worth the cost unless you take the Métro 10 times per day.

Looks like there is something called Forfait Paris Visite but it seems expensive.

You better get a Navigo card there and add money on it. I'm sure you'll find explanations of how it works online.

More and more cities are introducing contacless cards devices (tap on/tap off) but it doesn't look like Paris is one of them.

Anyway the Eurail Global Pass is something totally different which won't be of any use in Paris but will be on the rest of your trip. :)

Thankyou so much for your help!