Skip to main content
Solved

Border check at French trains

• 1 July 2024
  • 4 replies

I have noticed a new type of remark in the interrail planner (both app and web) for trains crossing the border to France, saying “Allow extra time for bording”. And if I click it, it says “Allow 20 minutes for border and bag checks”. For security measures, boarding is possible until 5 minutes before departure, so arrive at the station early.”

What has changed?

I know that France has introduced passport-check during the Olympics, but this message comes for all scheduled trips (until December) in and out of France (in both directions).

I am fine with a passport-check, but what do they mean by “bag check”? Is it X-ray machines like at the airport? I am bringing a backpack with camping equipment (for hiking in the Pyrenees), that may or may not look suspicious in an X-ray machine.

I can’t find anything about any extra border check anywhere else than the interrail planner. If I look at SNCFs planner, is says that I can board the train up to 2 minutes before departure - just like normal.

Maybe this is just the interrail “planner” that are behaving a little strange? I am not using it as my primary planner, but I have to use it to enter trips in the Rail Planner app.

Palle Dam

Hello, 

what I know airport style checks are only for Eurostar trains to/from London. 

But maybe also ex Thalys and now Eurostar has also this checks in Brussels. I don't think that other stations has the capacity for such checks.

Former Thalys (now Eurostar) from Paris have from time to time short checks on the luggage (Depends on the current Counter Terorismlevel in France) 

Had a similar check already on TGV's from Strasbourg (all had to pass a dog) and Bordeux 

With the Olympics we can definitely expect more such checks, especially on TGVs.

If the bag check on TGV is just a dog, then I won’t be worried. I guess they can’t smell my curtlery. But I am considering to bring gas canisters instead for liquid fuel for my stove.

On my way out the 23/7 (a few days before the Olympics starts) I will travel from SW Germany to Paris Est. Then cross the city to Paris Austerlitz, where I will take a night train to the Pyrenees. I am not sure where I will cross the German/French border. Probably Saarbrücken (starting from Mannheim) or Strasbourg. That depends on how late my SJ night train from Denmark (EN345) will arrive in Hamburg. It is often very delayed. I have bought a couple of refundable reservation for different trains from SW Germany to Paris. 

I will travel back around the 4/8. I had considered to take a night train from Toulouse to Paris and then a normal train to Germany. But maybe it is better to avoid Paris during the Olympics. Instead there is a direct train (TGV 5500) from Montpellier to Strasbourg.