Solved

Border crossing from Germany to France in Saarbrücken

• 7 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

I am using the Interrail Ticket for the first time. I bought the Interrail-France-Pass with 4 days of travel and I am living in Germany. I am planning on crossing the border at Saarbrücken. How does this actually work. I planning on getting a ticket with Deutsche Bahn to Saarbrücken. Can I then use the Interrail Ticket from Saarbrücken?

Thanks for your advice.

Martin

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 7 September 2022, 12:10

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As far as I know you can only use the single country pass in that country, so as Saarbrucken is still in Germany that will not work. You would need to get to a French station to use your pass.

There are some border towns that have dual country status and the planner will show both “stations”. You then buy a ticket to the “German” station and then use your pass from the other station in the planner.

I don’t know if there are any on the Ger/FR border, but I know Basel has a German and a Swiss “station”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

On that route you would need to buy your German ticket to Forbach.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I am traveling from Frankfurt to Paris, so would it work if I buy a ticket from Frankfurt to Forbach then stay on the ICE and just use my Interrail-Ticket from Forbach to Paris on the same train?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I am traveling from Frankfurt to Paris, so would it work if I buy a ticket from Frankfurt to Forbach then stay on the ICE and just use my Interrail-Ticket from Forbach to Paris on the same train?

Yes, but you would also need a reservation to go along with the Interrail Forbach - Paris. This may be €10 or €20.

Check passholder reservations for French TGV trips here https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

To book you need a pass cover number, printed on paper pass cover or for mobile pass get number here

The usual caveat applies to also check if a cheaper trip is available by just buying a Frankfurt - Paris fare from DB

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Actually, only to Forbach(fr), which is the border tariff point here. But since DB's saver type tickets (Sparpreis etc.) are only available to real stations, it may be cheaper to buy a ticket to Forbach instead.

Thanks heaps for all your efforts. I think I am well prepared now to start my trip.