Solved

How to identify which rail company running a certain train

• 16 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi! I’ve been travelling in Austria and Slovenia - and been a bit confused as to which rail company is running the trains I’ve travelled on - does any one know if there an app or website to help?

e.g IC793 - is this Slovenian or Austrian?

RE79036? 
Would appreciate having this kind of info at hand as it would help when planning…. 

icon

Best answer by Hektor 16 March 2024, 22:21

View original

4 replies

Hi! I’ve been travelling in Austria and Slovenia - and been a bit confused as to which rail company is running the trains I’ve travelled on - does any one know if there an app or website to help?

It depends on train type and country. E.g. czech operator https://www.cd.cz/en/spojeni-a-jizdenka/ does show this for many trains when having a look at the trains full itinerary. For Germany, the DB Navigator app does show this that way.

e.g IC793 - is this Slovenian or Austrian?

I do see IC 793 as an inner austrian train from Klagenfurt to Salzburg, but not into Slovenia? It's a train operated by ÖBB (Österreichische Bundesbahnen).

RE79036? 
Would appreciate having this kind of info at hand as it would help when planning…. 

I do see RE 79036 as a regional train from Salzburg to München. That one is operated by Bayerische Regiobahn. 

Thanks so much, Hector. This is really useful.  I did in the end go on IC 793 - but wasn’t sure who was operating it! (the same train goes all the way from Vienna to Ljubjlana….).  How did you discover that it was operated by OBB?  I have the OBB app but couldn’t work it out.

Salzburg to Munchen - RE 79036 - that proved a bit problematic. It was extremely crowded from Salzburg to Freilassing then (once we had crossed the border into Germany) more carriages were added and the situation eased. Someone told  me that only recently has a RE train done this route - a ‘better’ train did so previously - perhaps due to the recent German rail strikes rolling stock is under pressure?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks so much, Hector. This is really useful.  I did in the end go on IC 793 - but wasn’t sure who was operating it! (the same train goes all the way from Vienna to Ljubjlana….).

IC 793 does no such thing, it's Klagenfurt-Salzburg. The direct Vienna-Ljubljana would be EC 151.

How did you discover that it was operated by OBB?  I have the OBB app but couldn’t work it out.

bahn.com shows the operators of a train. For international trains, there may be more than 1.

Thanks so much, Hector. This is really useful.  I did in the end go on IC 793 - but wasn’t sure who was operating it! (the same train goes all the way from Vienna to Ljubjlana….).  How did you discover that it was operated by OBB?  I have the OBB app but couldn’t work it out.

https://www.cd.cz/en/vlak/ - you may enter the train number and scroll down to see the operator.

Salzburg to Munchen - RE 79036 - that proved a bit problematic. It was extremely crowded from Salzburg to Freilassing then (once we had crossed the border into Germany) more carriages were added and the situation eased. Someone told  me that only recently has a RE train done this route - a ‘better’ train did so previously - perhaps due to the recent German rail strikes rolling stock is under pressure?

On this route, you'd have of choice of a few carriers.