Travelling with ADHD and Autism

• 7 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi Everyone, 

My name is Maddy and I am 24 years old. I have been looking to travel for a few years now but with a diagnosis of ADHD and Autism I worry about sensory and information overload. I have travelled with friends before and have been fine but that has been a more static holiday, so no travelling abroad other than on foot or to and from the airport. 

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on how to make the experience as smooth as possible? Has anyone got any dos or don’ts for planning? 

Thank you in advance for your assistance! 
☺️

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Maddy

Don't be too worried about taking trains. It's generally a quite civilised way of travel. Information is usually clear in correct in Wester, Central and Northern Europe. Trains are in nature quite predictable things. In some countries, there are quiet zones on the trains Especially the case in Germany, Austria, some companies in the UK and the Netherlands. But not every train type has this, nor do people always respect it.

Usually the complete front or complete back of the train is a lot more quiet than the middle part. You'll always find people there, avoiding crowds ;) 

Otherwise travelling in first class is also a bit more tranquil. You might want to consider that. But it costs a bit more of course. 

For the rest, perhaps stay clear of the really big cities and summer high season, especially weekends and avoid rush hour on commuter trains. Evening rush hour is definitely more lively than mornings, when lots of people are still waking up.

Interrail/Eurail offers so much flexibility to discover more quiet, smaller villages, cities and towns, lots of nature is accessible too by train. You can take practically any train, anywhere. 

Usually, the more North you go, the quieter /reserved people tend to be in general.

When do you plan to travel?  If you state more clearly which countries ans what you would like to visit, sure a lot of people here can conjure up some nice suggestions or tips for a relaxed journey. 

Something can always go wrong of course, with the train network. An unexpected, interruption, a strike, infrastructure problems cuasing some chaos. But these are exceptions, and shouldn't scare you off. As soon as the situation becomes more clear, decent information is always easily found or asked to continue your journey.

But in general, taking the train is one of the more relaxed ways of travel. No need to mingle in busy and chaotic traffic, nor has it all the bells and whistles of airplanes, and if it's too loud in the carriage. Ach, there are good noise cancelling headphones too, and those people don't stay on the train forever. 

Hi Brendan

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question, very much appreciated. 

I am still trying to work out a route and dates to go, trying to fit it around working is proving difficult at the moment. I am pretty much open to suggestions regarding locations but would like to visit Budapest at some point. I did look at first class but I don’t want to be where all my money goes, so will do as you have suggested and try and stick to the front or back of the train. 

Yes, I have recently purchased some loops, basically noise quietening earplugs, so will definitely be taking those with me!