Skip to main content
Solved

Adding an journey on an active day

• 17 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello! I will travel with Interrail for the first time in one week. I really hope somebody can help me. 

I am really confused. My question is whether I can add a journey on an active day. 

Here is my problem: 

I want to travel from Hanover (Germany) to Munich (Germany). I want to stay there for some hours and use the night train to Venice (Italy). 

I already know that there is no extra “active” day when using a night train but how does it work with the stay? 

I would have to use two “active” days when I stay in Munich for some hours although it is just one day. 

It says that the inspector have to see the train you’re staying in, when he scans the barcode. But how is it handled when you’re not traveling the exact route that is on your “ticket” because the rail planner didn’t show it?  

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On a travel day, you can use as many trains as you like.

You can add and delete journeys as much as you like. You don't have to plan anything in advance.

If you don't find your train in the planner, first check for app updates, then check if it maybe doesn't show because there's another, faster train (that sometimes happens with night trains), so you may need one of the filters to get your train(s) to show. Or look up your journey train by train. If that still doesn't help, then add your train manually.

thank you for your help! 

So this sign doesn’t have to be activated? Because otherwise you would lose one travel day. 

Or can you get it back after you left the train and deleted the journey. 
Otherwise I have to use two active days. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'm not sure what you did but 2 trains on one day is still one travel day.

It's best not to activate anything (pass, travel day, inbound/outbound) in advance. You never know what will happen and you can only cancel activation until 23:59 before validity starts. If something happens after that (e.g. you wake up ill), it will be too late to cancel and you'll loose travel days.

Okay, thank you very much. 
I don’t really unterstand the system… 

The fact is that when I am on the train, I have to activate the ticket. When I  board the second train later, I have to activate the other ticket. So I have used up two days of travel. Or is that wrong? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The fact is that when I am on the train, I have to activate the ticket.

Strictly speaking, before you board the train.

When I  board the second train later, I have to activate the other ticket. So I have used up two days of travel. Or is that wrong? 

No, you can use as many trains on a travel day as you like. When you add the first train (or journey) of a travel day to your pass, that will activate a travel day. When you then later add a second train/journey on the same travel day, then that won't activate another travel day, because it's on the same day. You can continue to add trains on the same day until midnight. Only after midnight, adding another train will activate another travel day.

That was the answer I was looking for!

Thank you so much! :))