Solved

Amsterdam to London in the summer

• 27 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi, we are a family of four (2 adults, and 2 eleven year old kids). We have Eurail 2nd class passes. We are staying in Hillegom, Netherlands and then want to go to London on August 14th.  I know Rotterdam is on the route so I have looked at Hillegom to Rotterdam and then Rotterdam to London. I have also looked at Amsterdam as a departing station as well.  I see that Eurostar stops doing direct Amsterdam-London routes in mid-June. Is this typical? It looks like everyting goes through Brussels with a 1 hr 15 min to 2 hr 15 min changeover. Given that we already have to change trains twice to go from Hillegom to Rotterdam, I was trying to avoid the number of train changeovers (and cost of 2 separate reservations).  Any suggestions? I’m surprised that they would stop offering direct routes in the summer when more people travel.  Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Hektor 27 April 2024, 21:59

View original

7 replies

They are constructing a new Eurostar terminal. Because of this there are no trains Amsterdam to London from mid June to December. 

You need to change. But there are options without mandatory reservation to Bruxelles. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Book the Eurostar to London ASAP as you will be travelling just a few dats after the closing ceremony of the Olympics in Paris. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can avoid a second reservation by taking the slightly longer IC from Amsterdam, Rotterdam to Brussels. Reservation-free and not 27€ per person...

Have a good 1h30 margin before the Eurostar as you don't want to miss it.

They are constructing a new Eurostar terminal. Because of this there are no trains Amsterdam to London from mid June to December. 

You need to change. But there are options without mandatory reservation to Bruxelles. 

What are those options? I don't see any. Thank you

You can avoid a second reservation by taking the slightly longer IC from Amsterdam, Rotterdam to Brussels. Reservation-free and not 27€ per person...

Have a good 1h30 margin before the Eurostar as you don't want to miss it.

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The Intercity to Brussels, from Amsterdam/Rotterdam. Leaves every hour, no seat reservations needed. Slower than Eurostar, but much cheaper and much more flexible. Timetables don’t seem to be updated yet to day. This is nothing to worry about. August is still quite far away in Railway terms. There”s probably some uncertainty in the planner yet. They should show up somewhere next in the weeks.

In in the unlikely case the IC to Brussels wouldn’t go in the midst of high season, there’s also an Alternative via Roosendaal. But wait a few weeks, and then get back to us if you can’t figure the schedules out. Best reserve a Brussels-London Eurostar in the afternoon, to have ample of time to get to Brussels and for the secutainment before boarding. Best do this soon, as mentioned before.

Don’t be afraid of changes in the Netherlands, these are usually very easy to do.

The Intercity to Brussels, from Amsterdam/Rotterdam. Leaves every hour, no seat reservations needed. Slower than Eurostar, but much cheaper and much more flexible. Timetables don’t seem to be updated yet to day. This is nothing to worry about. August is still quite far away in Railway terms. There”s probably some uncertainty in the planner yet. They should show up somewhere next in the weeks.

In in the unlikely case the IC to Brussels wouldn’t go in the midst of high season, there’s also an Alternative via Roosendaal. But wait a few weeks, and then get back to us if you can’t figure the schedules out. Best reserve a Brussels-London Eurostar in the afternoon, to have ample of time to get to Brussels and for the secutainment before boarding. Best do this soon, as mentioned before.

Don’t be afraid of changes in the Netherlands, these are usually very easy to do.

Thank you