Solved

Barcelona - Monaco - Florence advice

• 7 January 2024
  • 1 reply

My F1 teens are desperate to overnight in Monaco as our overnight stop from Barcelona to Florence in August (probably Sunday 12th)
Would appreciate advice on how feasible it is, given we wouldn’t want to arrive in Monaco too late in the evening and would then want to have time for a morning wander around the F1 course before heading o Florence. 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 7 January 2024, 00:45

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sure, it's totally possible and about right in the middle. Hotel prices will be very high though so I'd stay in nearby France.

You can check current timetables to get an idea.

High-speed trains between Barcelona and France are very expensive (25€ for a TGV). Reservations on AVE trains on the same route are currently unavailable online... maybe it will be possible until this summer but I wouldn't count on it (RENFE...). So your 3 options to cross the border are :

- 25€ TGV reservation to Nîmes

- regular AVE ticket to Nîmes

- regional trains via Cerbère

The journey will take quite long either way as there's no high-speed railway for the most part. The fastest takes 8h :

- TGV Barcelona-Sants - Narbonne 09:28 - 11:37 25€

- Intercités Narbonne - Marseille St-Charles 12:03 - 14:36 10-20€

- TER Marseille St-Charles - Nice-Ville 14:57 - 17:36

Book the trains requiring reservations well in advance, esp. on a weekend (but it's too early now).

Between Monaco and Florence it will either be via Milan (3€ IC + 13€ Frecciarossa) or via Cinque Terre (0-3€ reservation fees). Times are pretty similar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My F1 teens are desperate to overnight in Monaco as our overnight stop from Barcelona to Florence in August (probably Sunday 12th)
Would appreciate advice on how feasible it is, given we wouldn’t want to arrive in Monaco too late in the evening and would then want to have time for a morning wander around the F1 course before heading o Florence. 

I personaly would suggest to stay in Nice (West of Monaco) or Menton (east of Monaco) There are frequent trains from Nice via Monaco Menton to Ventimiglia from here you have Italian trains I personally would prefer the route south via La Spezia as you pass then the Cinque terre :)