Solved

Bernia Express from Zurich/ Bern to Milan

• 17 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi. What’s the best way to take the Bernia Express southbound? My route is Zurich/Bern to Milan. I guess I have to make stops at Chur and Tirano for this. I can leave Zurich anytime after 00:00 on May 1st and plan to be at Milan by 10-11AM. Any insights and tips on train times would be helpful. 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 17 April 2024, 20:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You cannot be in Milan by 10-11am. It's a slow but stunning way to cross the Alps. If you're in a rush take the route via Lugano.

Use the SBB app for your itinerary. Add via or search by smaller steps.

Ideal itinerary is as follows:

- IC3 Zürich HB - Chur 07:07 - 08:22

- Bernina Express* Chur - Tirano 08:28 - 12:49

- R Tirano - Milano Centrale 13:08 - 15:40

*the panorama carriages require a 36 CHF reservation and might already be sold out. For a better experience you may board the reservation-free regular carriages at the front. Less busy and with pull-down windows!

There are hourly regional trains along the Bernina route + 2 daily Bernina Express services.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks. If I have Global Pass do I still need to purchase the “standard offer”? And for the seat reservation section does it mean no more seats in panaroma car? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@thibcabe 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The website of the Rhaetian Railways can be found here: https://tickets.rhb.ch/en/pages/bernina-express

On the Bernina Express seat reservations are either required (panorama carriages, RhB website) or not possible at all (regular carriages).

The pass is your ticket. You do not need anything else. Simply log the train on Rail Planner before boarding, like you always have to do.