Solved

Booking Nighttrain reservation all together in one compartment (sleeper / couchette)?

• 22 November 2023
  • 14 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 15 replies

Hi together!

We, 4 persons (family, two adults, two children age 15), want to book a reservation for SJ nighttrain. Is it somewhere visible at INTERRAIL booking service (not SJ) that our places are together in one compartment?

As far as I know, there are 2 and 3-bed 2nd class sleepers (not couchettes). So, I assume, that we will get 2x 2-bed sleeper compartments when booking. Or could it be, that there is booked 1x 3-bed and another person into another sleeping compartment by the INTERRAIL booking system?

Other possibility, the couchettes. There are 4 and 6-bed couchettes. At INTERRAIL there is again the possibility to book the option for couchette. But it is not clear, if it is a private 4-bed compartment (so no one other could be with us) or an 6-.bed compartment, where maybe two other persons could be in the compartment. How can I achieve such a 4-bed compartment via INTERRAIL or is it not possible?

Thank you for your help!

Bye, Stephan

I

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 28 November 2023, 11:15

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Book on sj.se. It'll be cheaper because Interrail charge an extra €2 per person and train. I'm not sure why you'd want to book via Interrail.

Sleepers have max. 3 persons. If you book a couchette you will be booked in the same compartment if possible. You should be able to see the couchette numbers before paying, so you can see if you're in the same compartment.

If you mention route, date and departure time, people can check what's possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I had a look at the Hamburg - Stockholm route :

You can book 2 x 2 people sleeper compartments for 3308 SEK (290€).

I can’t see 4 people couchette compartments so the other option I could think of would be to buy 6 reservations for a full couchette compartment (even though you’re 4) : 2310 SEK (202€). I’m not sure in which sense that is allowed with SJ, for example it’s not an issue with SNCF (even recommended by The Man in Seat 61). Maybe @rvdborgt or @AnnaB know ? :)

Use sj.se as recommended for sure.

Badge

Hello!

Thank you first your feedback.

The hint with SJ booking I already received in another thread. For our train from Stockholm to Narvik this was ok… SJ is cheaper than IR.

But what I am wonderuing, the costs at IR for the journey from Hamburg to Stockholm (and also the journed back) are cheaper at IR that at SJ.

See here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Those prices for the SJ night train on interrail.eu don't look correct. Please click further until just before payment and check if they remain the same.

Badge

This is what is shown in the next step:

Badge

So, no word about sleeping compartment / bed, etc… only “2.Klasse” (2nd class)… The same is shown when I take the option “Seats” for reservation, but price is something like 4,60 Euro per person…

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That's not far enough. Please click further.

Badge

OK… before doing the final step, I was kicked out of the system:

Badge

so rvdborgt, you were right ;-)

Badge

So this speaks all for SJ booking. Thanks to all!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Stephan 

I will investigate this with the reservations team. We should not give incorrect information on the reservations portal. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Stephan 

I have received the following information. You cannot select this journey for a sleeper accommodation on our website, because this is gender restricted. You can , however, book the couchettes, but the price will change at the moment of checkout. I will escalate this issue as well. If you have further questions, please let me know. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

With SJ, AFAIK, you can't book a private couchette with Interrail so the price you have is the price for normal tickets.

If you book 6 berths, and not a private compartment, but only have 4 persons with Interrail you don't have a valid ticket for 2 of the reservations. 

The price for the SJ Interrail reservation is 385 SEK for a berth in a couchette and  830 SEK per person for a bed in a sleeper on the SJ EN between Sweden and Germany. 

Badge

Thank you all for your help!