Solved

Chambery to Turin, currently no direct trip currently avaialable?

• 1 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Last year we travelled from Chambery Challes Les Eaux to Turin which was straight forward and took about 2 hours 40 minutes.

Now when I try to plan another journey for later this year I get this crazy journey of 8 hours via Geneva and Brig (or others via Annecy) but none as straightforward as previously.

Any thoughts please? When I put in a June date (when I will want to go) it says no tickets but if I try an earlier date in April or today, I get the above. I am hoping that in the winter, the route is not avaialable but come the summer the direct route will be available? Does anyone know anything about this please? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 1 March 2024, 12:01

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

There was a landslide last year, blocking the route. Repairs are ongoing, but more difficult than expected.

I think there are replacement busses, in place. But not sure, someone else might now better.

Many thanks Brendan. That would explain it and makes perfect sense. OK I will check that out.

Thank you. :o)

https://www.railfreight.com/railfreight/2023/10/02/frejus-railway-to-remain-closed-until-summer-2024-after-landslide/?gdpr=accept

Looks like it will be shut for a while.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it is closed until further notice.

There is a daily Paris - Milan TGV with replacement bus in the middle (30€ reservation on top of the pass). Timetables for June not published yet, right now it runs in the afternoon.

Your best option is likely a Flixbus unless you fancy the large detour. Faster, cheaper and more options.

Thank you thibcabe for your response. Good call about the bus; I used the balhblah bus one time last year and it was very good. However, I think I will just head all the way to the French coast, Marsailles or Nice, from Paris and work our way eastwards towards Tuscany. Good excuse to visit the south of France. :o) Many thnaks for your thoughts.