Skip to main content

Hello, 

I recently came back from a fantastic interrail journey with two friends trough Sweeden and Danemark that went almost perfectly. However, on the first day of travel, we were unlucky enough to have our ICE train to Hamburg delayed and then cancelled wich prevented us from taking our booked night train from there to Stockholm.

We are now compiling the formular to get a refund but we don’t really know what we are entitled to ask as refund… I know that there are european laws that regulate what and how companies should refund to travellers in the event of a problem that bar them from continuing their journey on the same day (hotel refund, tickets for the next day and food if I’m not mistaken), but I didn’t find a specific explanation for refunds if travelling with interrail. Furthermore, Deutsche Bahn told us at the station that they would “maybe” look for a refund of the hotel, but wouldn’t for the night train we’ve lost, the seat reservations we’ve had to pay the next day to continue our journey (citing, for these two, the fact that the trains are operated by SJ and not DB...), the food on that night or the lost day of travel of our interrail. 

In those circumstances, does someone know what I can ask DB to refund ? Can I ask for the day lost of interrail or compensation for the 13 hours of delay we’ve had due to this ? How can I prove that I took the cancelled train if I don’t have a normal ticket, is an explanation letter enough ?

Also, if anyone has personal experiences, tips or general information on refunds due to missed last connections with interrail in Europe, I would be very curious to hear them to know what other people do in this situation ! :) 

@Mathieu Perez

The problem is that you had two separate contracts and the AJC (Agreement on Journey Continuation) doesn’t include a refund of the hotel nights. 

But, in another similar case, Interrail accepted this refund. It costs nothing to try. You should prove that the ICE was late.