Skip to main content
Solved

Edinburgh - Geneva

• 19 January 2024
  • 2 replies

My wife and I have bought Global Interrail Passes for use in May/June 2024.  I would like to know what constitutes a single “trip”.  For example, if we start early from Edinburgh, arrive in London, take Eurostar to Paris, then take a night sleeper to Geneva starting before midnight, could this be considered a single “trip”

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The departure day is what matters. Any train you board between 00:00 and 23:59 will trigger a travel day.

You may travel on 2 days in your country of residence.

Please note that there are no night trains between Paris and Geneva. In general night trains are rare in Western Europe, killed by high-speed trains and low-cost airlines.

As long as you leave early it is possible to do Edinburgh - Geneva in a day though. For example :

- LNER Edinburgh Waverley - London King's Cross 06:26 - 10:53 free optional reservation

- margin : cross the square and pass security and passport controls

- Eurostar London St. Pancras - Paris-Nord 12:34 - 16:00 30€ mandatory reservation

- RER D Gare du Nord - Gare de Lyon -> Interrail not valid, tickets available in Eurostar bistro car

- TGV Paris Gare de Lyon - Geneva 18:18 - 21:29 29€ mandatory reservation

Possible to save money by taking the TGV to Bellegarde and a regional train for the last bit across the border.

Alternatives avoiding the Paris station transfer :

- Eurostar to Lille-Europe and then TGV to either Lyon or Strasbourg

Questions welcome.

Thank you for this very detailed response.