Skip to main content

I want to go to El Chorro during the first week of October. No timetable appears on the Interail planning app yet. I can see times on trainline and raileurope but I can't tell if any train will allow interrail passes. From Malaga the ticket only seems to be £3.93 so not worried about having to pay extra, although whether this includes a seat reservation, I don't know. (Seat reservations for every single train journey in Spain is really racking up the costs on top of the pass 😢).

Can anyone help please? Not knowing is preventing me from planning ahead.

Many thanks in anticipation. 

Jill

The trains are included in the pass, the timetable is just not fully updated yet - you can see that if you search in the Rail Planner for example for tomorrow, you’ll see the trains.

But you need reservations if travelling with a pass. It would be €4 done at the local station, or €6 from Interrail. In this case, it’s slightly cheaper than the local ticket you’ve found, but not much

Hi ralderton. Thanks for the reply. It is good to know that the trains are included for the pass. Yes, I can see trains up until the end of August on the planning app but no later. I am hoping that by the end of August the new timetable will appear for October. OK, so in the meantime, I will assume that every train I can see on trainline app will eventually appear on the interrail app. If the ticket price for a journey is similar to the seat reservation price for everyone with an Interrail pass, it begs the question is it worth using the Interrail pass for Spain, or is this example just an unusual one? I haven’t checked out any others.

I haven’t travelled in Spain with an Interrail pass before and have been surprised at how many of the trains are not in the Interrail Network; I have not encountered this before, to that extent, in other countries.

Many thanks for your help.

Yes, unfortunately Spain is not a great country to use the pass in. Most trains need a reservation of some kind, and although they’re not always expensive, they can be a pain to buy. And they certainly add up when making lots of short journeys.

The only trains that aren’t covered by Interrail in Spain would be those operated by Ouigo, Iryo and Avlo - who compete with RENFE on high speed lines, as well as Euskotren in the Basque Country. Everything else (other than metros etc) should be included.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. We are taking several short and a few long journeys so it is mounting-up. Never mind. I did buy the pass when it was 25% off so probably no worse off. 

Many thanks and happy travels.