Skip to main content
Solved

eurail pass and europe travel

• 14 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello, This devudu from India. I am planning to visit to europe from 12th March to 22nd March 2024. Me and my wife travelling.

12th arriaval at Amsterdam,

have some official work at Amstardam from 13-15th and will cover local Netherlands.

16th travel to Paris.

17th travel to Switzerland (detailed planning yet to be done)

22nd return to India.

Please guide me which places to cover routes and tips suggestions. I am first time travelling to Europe.

Should we take Eurail pass or not.

I have seen eurail pass but I think it is very expensive for me. Because for eurail pass is costing around 900 euro for 15 days and charging around 30 euro for each reservations. Since I need to show all travel reservations in the airport, i need to make all reservations prior to departure from india, it will not work out form me.

so, kindly advise me which pass should I take and locations hotels etc.

Thank you.

You should compare the price of Eurail Global Pass + seat reservations vs regular tickets + half-fare card and tickets in Switzerland.

Yes you need to add a 32€ reservation for Amsterdam - Paris + 29€ for Paris - Switzerland but tickets for these journeys are rather expensive in the first place.

There are ways to save money like taking a Paris - Strasbourg/Mulhouse TGV for 10-20€ and then crossing the Swiss border on a regional train.

Within Switzerland Eurail is great value as it gives you flexibility. Valid on all regular trains + 25-50% discount on mountain railways.

You do not need a 15 days pass for this trip! 5 or 7 days within a month will be enough.

(In my opinion Paris is worth spending more than a night but it is your trip after all.)

Otherwise as I said above consider the Swiss half-fare card + half-fare tickets/saver day passes. The 50% discount is valid everywhere including to Jungfraujoch (an expensive tourist trap but views are beautiful).