Solved

Flexi mobile pass

• 27 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 12 replies

Hi, I am planning using a flexi mobile pass (10 days within 2 months) and reading the FAQs I am getting confused. From the instructions I understand that I must link a trip to my pass in order to be able to activate the pass starting from X date. But I have also read that the trip I link to my pass cannot be changed once the pass is activated. So, I am wondering how my flexi pass remains then flexible.

Is it because even tough I cannot change the trip linked to my pass, I do can add, remove, change journeys and cancel travel days (until the day before) to the trip linked to my pass? Do I understand right?

And if this is the case … would you recommend me linking a trip to my pass with all journeys planned on all 10 days or rather link a trip to my pass with only the first journeys on my first travel date and then, as I travel, add journey by journey (meaning travel date by travel date) to the trip linked to the pass? I guess the answer partly depends on whether travel days are automatically activated when I add them to the trip linked to the pass or whether they need to be activated additionally (in case there is a change underway).

Maybe these are obvious things, but for someone who has not used an Interrail pass before, the instructions can be a bit confusing …

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 28 June 2023, 18:23

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can't change the trip linked to your pass for another trip.

But you can freely change the contents of that trip, at any point in time.

Badge

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Did you watch the instruction video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_AhIqxR-M

Badge

yes, I did. Thanks! :) But I also read the FAQs and I got confused with not being able to change my trip linked to the Global pass.

Now I think I get it. The trip linked cannot be changed but I can add, remove and change journeys from the trip linked to the global pass as long as the travel date has not started (just as mentioned above). From the FAQs and video I  also understand that I have to manually add journeys saved under ‘my trip’ linked to my global pass (sliding the bar to the right) in order to be able to create a ticket under ‘my pass’.

But what I am not sure about is: can I still change, delete journeys from my trip and pass after having added them manually by sliding the bar. Or should I do this just before going onboard - just in case? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The QR code is generated for each travel day you undertake. 

But you can still add, remove or change trains as much as you like or need on a travel day for which you already activated a QR code :)

As long as every train you take is registered, you're good (inspectors check this!) 

Tip: only activate your pass or a travel day until just (I mean minutes) before travelling/boarding the first train of the day! 

Badge

ok …? so activating QR codes (creating tickets) does not affect the possibility of making changes but activating travel days does? sorry, it’s just a bit weird for someone who has never used this before

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Creating a QR code is the same as activating a travel day. Can be a bit confusing. But it's quite intuitive when using it, no worries. 

You have to see the mobile version as a digital version of the paper pass. 

On the paper pass, you crossed out a date which you wanted to travel on. On that day, you filled out line per line every train you take under the way, just before boarding. This flexibility you still have with the mibile pass, enabling you to take any train you want. 

In the mobile app you activate a travel day by tapping on the ledger of your first train of the day (app will ask to confirm the use of a travel day). And than you can add, change or delete as many train journeys as you want.

We always warn people to not activate too far in advance. 

Some people already activated their travel days weeks in advance. On the day itself  they end up ill or there's e.g. a strike, which means changing your plans to later days. But as you don't get your travel days back once you've reached that day, we always advice to only activate a couple of minutes before boarding the first train of the day. Just to avoid any unpleasant surprises.(You can still delete travel days before reaching that day) 

Badge

thank you!