Solved

Four-Day First Class Pass: France & Italy

• 10 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello everyone! My wife and I are traveling the following itinerary for 16 days in May-June:

Paris to Nice

Nice to Cinque Terre (Monterosso)

Cinque Terre to Florence

Florence to Rome

We would appreciate any thoughts on Eurail passes. Is first class worth upgrading to for this itinerary? We’d love the space, food/beverage, and any other accommodations, but only if applicable and worth it.

Thank you!!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 10 April 2024, 17:26

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The only inclusive service you’d get would be on Florence to Rome, where you get a coffee / Prosecco & a snack in First on the Frecciarossa.

On the regional trains between Nice- Monterosso- Florence, there’s usually no First Class at all.

On the TGV in France, just expect a more roomy carriage, 2+1 seating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You should compare passes vs regular tickets. With Eurail you'll need a 10-20€ reservation for Paris - Nice and 13€ for Florence - Rome (extra costs).

Get tickets for Paris - Nice in advance as prices increase closer to travel date and this train could definitely sell out.

Fixed price for Nice - Florence : it doesn't matter when you get the ticket.

Florence - Rome : availability is never an issue, even on the day. There are 3-4 high-speed trains an hour.

I'd go with 1st class for the high-speed journeys as these tickets usually cost 5-10€ extra, worth the little upgrade.