Solved

Global Eurail pass

• 15 January 2024
  • 13 replies

Hi I had trouble booking seats after purchasing 5 days flexi global pass.

I was to book my train from London to Leeds, round trip. Does Eurail global pass not cover this trip? It keeps getting me to other train booking sites in which I have to pay the whole price for the tickets, not benefiting through global pass.

Please help me get through this! It won’t work from Interlaken ost to Geneva as well. :(

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 15 January 2024, 18:57

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You pass is valid on these trans.

Please don't use the rail planner app to plan. It's often out of date and generally unreliable. Use national websites or apps, and for international journeys, bahn.com or the DB Navigator app is a good choice.

Reservations for day trains in the UK are always optional and never mandatory. The rail planner app is wrong here. You can book them free of charge on the GWR website.

In general, check this page for where best to book reservations:

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

For Interlaken to Geneva, you don't need any reservations; booking reservations in Switzerland is basically wasted money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your pass is valid on those trains, and on the direct trains from London to Leeds. It’s valid on almost all trains in the UK.

Unfortunately, on the weekend of the 10/11 February, there is maintenance on the line, so the direct trains aren’t running.

I suggest you look for timetables on www.lner.co.uk. They will be up-to-date with all the timetable changes, and show you the best route.

If you can travel on 12/2, the direct trains will be running to Leeds.

Thank you for your kind explanation.

So does this mean that with my global Eurail pass, I can get on the train from London to Leeds?

I don’t quite understand how I can reserve a seat during my journey. (I want to make sure that I have a reserved seat so that I won’t be late for my schedule 😭😭) So, from the Eurail website where I purchased 4 days global pass, shall I book my seat too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you for your kind explanation.

So does this mean that with my global Eurail pass, I can get on the train from London to Leeds?

I don’t quite understand how I can reserve a seat during my journey. (I want to make sure that I have a reserved seat so that I won’t be late for my schedule 😭😭) So, from the Eurail website where I purchased 4 days global pass, shall I book my seat too?

Yes, your pass is valid on these trains. You don’t need to reserve a seat if you don’t want to. You can just add it to your pass on the day and jump on a train. 

If you want to reserve a seat (and I recommend it, because they’ll be busy), the best place to reserve it is at gwr.com, for free. Or at a ticket office in the UK. Don’t reserve via Eurail, as they will charge you for something you can get for free.

But, as I say, there’s no direct trains on 11 Feb.

Thank you again! I will try that way! Have a nice day 👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No problem. Come back here and ask again if you have any problems.

The instructions for reserving seats via GWR are here:

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#UK

Thanks!

Well, I don’t get how my eurail account get connected with GWR site. Do I have to submit my pass number somewhere? I am going to try this after I purchase my global pass back (I got a refund few hours ago, thinking that it isn’t valid for London to Leeds)

The above is the reservation for train tickets to Leeds. It costs me 112 pounds.

I would be most thankful if you could help me out with this! If I buy my global pass back again would the situation change automatically? Or do I have to do something else!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks!

Well, I don’t get how my eurail account get connected with GWR site. Do I have to submit my pass number somewhere? I am going to try this after I purchase my global pass back (I got a refund few hours ago, thinking that it isn’t valid for London to Leeds)

The above is the reservation for train tickets to Leeds. It costs me 112 pounds.

I would be most thankful if you could help me out with this! If I buy my global pass back again would the situation change automatically? Or do I have to do something else!

No, there’s no connection at all, and you don’t have to give GWR your pass number. There’s no connection between Eurail tickets and reservations. That often confuses people!

This is just the same reservation that anyone can make if they have a valid ticket - which you will when you buy your pass.

Don’t pay GWR any money!

You need to first create an account with GWR. You don’t need a credit card. Then click on Bookings and Make a seat/bike reservation. If you’re asked to select what type of ticket you have, just choose Anytime Single. It’s described in full detail in the seat61 link above.

You can do all this before you’ve bought a pass. 

I finally get how to reserve it! Thank you so much.

Just one more question, how can I know the train or rail station to which the global pass is valid? If I can see the train information in Eurail homepage, is it valid? I want to know several more trips other than Interlaken to Geneva.

You’ve been so much help to me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The vast majority of European trains/railways are included. The coverage works by train companies and all major ones are included. Notable exceptions include :

• low-cost operators/competitors like Flixtrain, .italo or Ouigo
  • mountain railways/cable cars in Switzerland (but you often get a 25-50% discount!)
  • RER network in Paris

For a first look you can search the journey on Rail Planner and it’ll tell you whether the train is included or not. But it’s not 100% reliable. Have a look at https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Specific questions always welcome. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

how can I know the train or rail station to which the global pass is valid

The link that @rvdborgt gave in the second post is a good summary of which companies accept the pass, country by country.

And so is this list from Eurail.

You can also check your route in the Eurail Planner that you were using first. If a train journey shows up and it doesn't say ‘Not in Pass Network’, then the pass is valid. But as @rvdborgt says, the timetables are sometimes out of date and the planner is not the best, so it’s best to search your timetables elsewhere.

Dear rvdborgt, thanks for your quick response. !!

1. I have already purchased an Eurail Global Continuous Pass. I have also downloaded the Rail Planner App to help me find what trains are available. I have keyed in my Eurail Global Pass to this Rail Planner App. I plan to go from Paris Nord to Palace of Versailles and Château de Versailles. I cannot find the train station name at Versailles in the Rail Planner app. Can you please kindly advise me how to use my Eurail Global Pass to visit Versailles and what is the name of the train station should I key in in my Rail Planner app ?

I cannot find a train from Paris Nord to Versailles in the Rail Planner App. But I can find a trip in the DB App. DB APP – from PARIS NORD to Versailles Château Rive Gauche STATION is 1 h 39 m with 2 transfers. May I ask can I use DB App to for train trips using my Eurail Global Pass ? If the answer is yes, please provide me with the steps to connect my Eurail Global Pass to the DB App. Thank You 

2. I also plan to go from Paris Nord to visit Mont Sant Michel and the Loire Valley on separate days.  Can you please kindly advise me how to use my Eurail Global Pass to visit Mont Sant Michel and the Loire Valley on separate days, and what are the names of the train stations should I key in in my Rail Planner app ? In Loire Valley, I would like to visit the Amboise Castle and Chenonceau Castle.

Thank You Very Much for your help !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have a look at your other thread : I made an answer there ;)