Solved

Handicap access

• 3 January 2024
  • 6 replies

I am a travel agent looking for info on train access with using a walker?? Are most train stations platform entrances? Will they take her walker and store it or can she keep it with her? 

icon

Best answer by seewulf 4 January 2024, 00:07

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It is impossible to answer your question without more details as there is no single answer. It all depends on where you travel, what type of train you choose. 

Maybe you can find some information in the link below. 

https://www.eurail.com/en/help/interested-in-eurailing/traveling-with-a-disability

Thank you for getting back to me. I have already read what you sent me. It tells me absolutely nothing.

If it helps, they are getting a 22 day pass to travel all over starting in Vienna and ending up in Milan.

They are just bouncing around.  I honestly can’t imagine that it should be an issue. If they allow wheel chairs I would imagine they would allow walkers. 

Thanks,

Kim

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Walkers and wheel chairs are treated equally, at least i Sweden where I live. You need to make a special booking to get a space for the wheel chair/walker unless you are able to  fold and store the walker yourself in the luggage area. As the rules vary from train company to train company, you need to check with all the train companies that will be used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thank you for getting back to me. I have already read what you sent me. It tells me absolutely nothing.

If it helps, they are getting a 22 day pass to travel all over starting in Vienna and ending up in Milan.

They are just bouncing around.  I honestly can’t imagine that it should be an issue. If they allow wheel chairs I would imagine they would allow walkers. 

Thanks,

Kim

There is no general answer as every European Trainoperator have different rules and ofcourse there many different trains. 

Some trains have low level entry = quite easy with a Walker others have steps to get in ;) 

If your Customers are scared they can ask for assistance on major stations. Then usually a Service staff assist them with getting on the train. These services must be prebooked. To book these services you have to fill request forms on the webites of the railoperators as you doesnt mention any details we can provide just general answers like in the link you already red ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If your Customers are scared they can ask for assistance on major stations. Then usually a Service staff assist them with getting on the train. These services must be prebooked. To book these services you have to fill request forms on the webites of the railoperators as you doesnt mention any details we can provide just general answers like in the link you already red ;)

In the link I provided there’s a link to a document with information about how to get assistance in all countries where Eurail is valid.

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions!! I think she will be ok.