Solved

Help for first-timer

• 26 January 2024
  • 4 replies

• New aboard
  • 0 replies

Looking to travel London - Paris - Bordeaux - Madrid in Aug, then fly back. Will get the 4 day-1 month interrail pass

Is Eurostar part of the pass?

Is the online map accurate? Or can I stop at Bilbao or San Sebastian before Madrid? How do I know in advance if I can use my pass there?

Is it best to book accommodation now or on the journey?

Really grateful for any advice

icon

Best answer by Al_G 26 January 2024, 18:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes, all that will be in range of a pass, just be mindful that Eurostar as well as long distance trains in France and Spain require mandatory reservations as well.

Eurostar and the 2 daily Paris - Barcelona (if you choose to go that route) trains are in high demand so you should book these well in advance.

Validity is based on train operators not that awful interactive map.

San Sebastian from Paris would be either via Barcelona or more direct by getting to Hendaye in the south east of France, from there you take the local Euskotren service to San Sebastian which is not included in the pass but fairly cheap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You should book accommodation in advance (especially in summer) but you can always choose refundable options. Paris is hosting the Olympics so expect very high prices, more crowds and extra security measures.

I’d compare regular advance tickets vs pass + reservations as they’ll cost a fair bit extra. Have a look at https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Eurostar has a passholder quota (30€). Book well in advance, especially with the Olympics. The quota works by “buckets” : when tickets reach 170€ passholder reservations stop being sold. Evening trains are often cheaper and thus have more availability.

San Sebastian makes more sense via Bordeaux yeah and you avoid the expensive/too popular Barcelona TGV.

Questions welcome.

Looking to travel London - Paris - Bordeaux - Madrid in Aug, then fly back. Will get the 4 day-1 month interrail pass

Is Eurostar part of the pass?

Is the online map accurate? Or can I stop at Bilbao or San Sebastian before Madrid? How do I know in advance if I can use my pass there Holy Rummy?

Is it best to book accommodation now or on the journey?

Really grateful for any advice

1. Eurostar is not included in the Interrail pass. You'll need to purchase a separate ticket for Eurostar travel between London and Paris.
  2. The online map provided by Interrail is generally accurate, but it's always a good idea to double-check specific routes and stops. You can indeed stop at Bilbao or San Sebastian before Madrid, but it's essential to verify if these routes are covered by your pass in advance.
  3. It's recommended to plan your accommodation in advance, especially during peak travel seasons like August. Booking early ensures you have a wider selection of options and may secure better rates.
  4. Remember to validate your pass before boarding trains and familiarize yourself with any reservation requirements for specific routes or trains. Additionally, consider travel insurance for peace of mind during your journey. Enjoy your trip!
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
  1. Eurostar is not included in the Interrail pass. You'll need to purchase a separate ticket for Eurostar travel between London and Paris.

This is wrong and you've already been corrected multiple times.

You do need a seat reservation on Eurostar services, like for most high-speed trains but Eurail/Interrail is fully valid and you only pay the passholder fare.