Solved

Help with Europe Interrail itinerary

• 12 April 2024
  • 2 replies

I am interested in doing interrailing in Europe this summer for a week or so with my 11 year old son. 

A possible itinerary I would like

- London to Strasbourg (on Eurostar)

- Strasbourg to Munich 

- Munich to Salzburg 

- Salzburg to Zagreb 

- Zagreb to Bratislava 

- Bratislava to Budapest 

- Budapest to Prague 

- Prague to Nuremberg

- Nuremberg to Brussels .

- Brussels to London 

The cities I most want to see are Munich, Salzburg, Zagreb, Budapest, Prague. Are there any other destinations or routes I should consider to save time or ease of transfers? 

Is the above itinerary sensible in terms of train times and changes? Are there are any better night train routes to consider. I am open to suggestions. 

How long should I spend in each location? I was thinking 2 nights in Munich, Salzburg, Budapest and Prague. 

Any suggestions of things to see and do with an 11 year old.

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 12 April 2024, 09:47

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How long are you planning for this trip? With all that travelling, I’d want to spend at least two nights in most places, or you’ll not have much time for any actual sightseeing!

You could skip Nuremberg, and take a sleeper train from Prague to Brussels.

I might also be tempted to swap a city for some time in the Alps, or by the sea?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

A week is not that much and you have a lot of potential destinations. You can easily spend a day or 4 in the bigger cities, like Munich or Prague. You have to decide on what you want to see the most I guess :) 

I would definitely not go so far as Zagreb, takes you too much off course and connections are a bit slow for that distance.