Skip to main content

We will be in Switzerland (Geneva mostly) by Aug.19 and travelling to Paris on Aug. 24-25, back in Geneva. Travelling to Italy Aug.31-Sept.2 and back to Geneva again. 

While in Geneva, maybe take 2-3 days random trip outside of Geneva (maybe Zurich, Bern, Interlakken, Luzern, Zermatt.. etc..)…

I am thinking at least 7 days Eurail pass to cover Paris and Italy trips and use 2 days in Switzerland.

Since I plan to use the Eurail (7 day pass) pass only on specific days, will that mean I have to "activate" the pass only on those days?

Like for Aug.24-25 going to Paris, I need to activate the pass before my preferred train schedule? And on Aug. 31-Sept.2 while in across Italy, same - activate before taking the train going to Italy?

And so on for the other travels days?

Also, how would I know if a specific train needs seat reservations? Like in Italy, the FRECCIAROSSA, does it needs seat reservation? Or even in SBB Trains?

Thank you.

Yes, I think Eurail will be good value for your trip. Everything is covered, even boats on Lake Thun and Brienz would be!

The pass will start its month validity period on the first travel day and then during that time you can travel on 7 days. More details (and better explained) here: https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm

Have a look at this guide for reservations: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

You'll need reservations on Italian and French fast/high-speed trains. Nothing in Switzerland: simply hop on, sit wherever you want and go with the flow.

Since reservations between Switzerland and Paris are expensive (29€) I'd suggest crossing the border on a regional train and boarding the TGV in Bellegarde for 10-20€. About 30 min longer. Same thing for the way back.

There are engineering works until 8th September on the mainline between Geneva and Milan. Either you take 2 replacement buses or do a little detour via Lucerne or Zurich.

Feel free to ask anything.

Thank you for your reply @thibcabe . Will check the links you provided.

Just to add, the 7 days need not be consecutive, right? Especially in our case when we will just use it during weekends basically (as we work during weekdays).

Crossing to Paris, we did before from Genève, Gare Cornavin to Gare de Lyon with SBB train I remember.  With your suggestion, will it be: Geneva to Bellegarde, then switch train Bellegarde to Gare de Lyon?  Bellegarde-Sur-Valserine Gare → Paris - Gare De Lyon  and vice versa back to Geneva? Is this correct?

And the construction going to Milan, too bad it won’t be completed ahead of our trip hence a longer travel time. The Flixbus to Milan is not covered by Eurail pass right?

Many thanks for your advice and have a great day @thibcabe .

Rommel

Yes that's it. It does take a bit longer so it's up to you. For example:

- TER Genève - Bellegarde 09:45 - 10:12

- TGV Bellegarde - Paris Gare de Lyon 11:02 - 13:42

Flixbus is not covered (no discount either). There are 3 daily replacement buses direct from Geneva to Milan. Passholder reservations available at SBB ticket counters (13 CHF).

I used them, they're quite comfortable (double decker) but the ride is still quite long. I prefer the scenic detour via Lucerne or Zurich.

The 7 days do not need to be consecutive.

Thank you again @thibcabe . I’m checking the Milan route train detour via Lucerne (around 7hrs in all) while via Zurich is a little less than… Same travel duration via FlixBus - difference is Flixbus is NOT covered by Eurail pass while the trains are covered… Same travel time, less money out  🤗

Does the Eurail Pass work like hop on - hop off for Trains not needing reservations as long as within the travel dates and covered transports?

Like for example, I can take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Tiefencastel (with reserved seats) then going back Chur -→ Geneva via SBB regional train, any train & time we can chance upon? Or do we also need to schedule when to take that SBB train? If it’s Bernina and we’ll be transferring to Chur, do we still need to reserve seats ?

Thank you.

Hello @Rommel Borja 

You don’t need any reservations or tickets for all other SBB trains in Switzerland, including Intercity (from Chur to Geneva, you don’t travel with regional trains). Reservations are possible on some trains, but not necessary.

In your example, from Tiefencastel to Chur, it is also a train with mandatory reservation (Bernina Express), but you can board in the first non-panoramic cars at the front of the train in direction of travel without reservations.

You can find more informations here:

https://community.sbb.ch/blog/23887-demystifying-seat-reservations-on-swiss-trains-a-comprehensive-guide

Thank you @Danhiel .. yes, it should be inter city and not regional..