Solved

How to sit together ?

• 12 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi! I need a little help to book seats with my friend. I did a little digging before on this community, but I haven’t found an answer to my problem.

But first context:

My friend and I won (separately) an Interrail Global Pass thanks to the DiscoverEU contest. We have mobile passes. 

I tried to add her pass to my travel, in order to be seated next to each other (and also be on the same cabin in a night train). But after I entered her name and her pass number, it said: “We can't add this traveller to your trip because of different pass conditions. You have to book seat reservations separately."

But as I mentioned before, we have the EXACT same pass: same type of pass, same validity period (7 days within 1 month), same start and end dates.

Do you have any idea why it says that? How can I solve this problem?

If it can't work, is there any other way for us to seat together on the trains?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Charlotte :)

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 12 June 2023, 22:44

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes there are other way to book seat reservations ! They’re all better than interrail.eu : less or no booking fee, compared to 2€ per person per train on Interrail. Optional seat reservations are also way more expensive on interrail.eu. Have a look here :

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Most European trains have optional reservations, they do not cost much (3€) : sometimes a good idea (ICE trains in Germany for example).

Make a single booking for both of you.

You can get TGV seat reservations for free if you go to a SNCF ticket counter : this goes for all domestic routes to enter or leave the country.

Night trains are very popular and need to be booked ASAP. What would be the route ? Most can be bought on nightjet.com or tickets.oebb.at

Let us know for questions mentioning route, date and departure time. :)

Thanks!

For the night train Zurich-Ljubljana, from july 6th to july 7th (20:40 to 8:09), on interrail.eu it says that seats, couchette and sleepers are available. But on nightjet.com, there are only seats.

Why do some night trains have not the same availability on interrail.eu and on nightjet.com? 

Also : how does nightjet.com/tickets.oebb.at know that we have an interrail pass ? We only have to add the Interrail Global Pass discount ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Why do some night trains have not the same availability on interrail.eu and on nightjet.com?

My guess: interrail.eu is buggy.

Also : how does nightjet.com/tickets.oebb.at know that we have an interrail pass ? We only have to add the Interrail Global Pass discount ?

That's it: you add the Interrail/Eurail discount and you select "One-way tickets” (NOT "Seat reservation only”). As a bonus, it's cheaper than on interrail.eu. On nightjet.com, you only have to add the discount; you can't select the wrong search option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you'd like a couchette, take the night train to Graz : 20:40 - 06:58 -> 31.40€ (nightjet.com)

From there :

- S1 Graz Hbf - Spielfeld-Strass 07:10 - 07:59

- ICN Spielfeld-Strass - Ljubljana 08:04 - 10:05

Or spend a few hours in Graz and then the direct EC : 10:39 - 14:00

Either you use a second pass day or pay for a ticket (63€ for 2).

I'd recommend the couchette to Graz over the seat to Ljubljana

Thank you all for your help. I have another question

They offer couchettes on the Zurich-Ljubljana night train only when you book for 1 person. Is it because there is only one bed available left in each couchette ?

Make a single booking for both of you.

How can we be in the same couchette if we book it seperately ? We can’t choose which couchette. 

We would really like to be together :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes there is only 1 couchette left and 1 sleeper left. The only way to be together are the seats.

Or you take the alternative route via Graz :)

You can't book separately if you want to be together.

Ok thank you for helping me figure this out :)