Skip to main content
Solved

I travel tomorrow on the final 2 days of my Eurail-pass and suddenly my app does not open anymore!!!

• 29 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi Community,

Fearing the worst as time is running out, this is my problem. I have 2 days left on my Eurail-pass. As I returned ast Saturday I decide to use them for a trip to Dresden tomorrow, returning Tuesday. I have added the trips and activated them (and booked a hotel in Dresden). I also booked a separate ticket for the last part back from Germany to the Netherlands, as it isn't covered by the Eurail-pass.

Now, at the final moment, as I checked the time the train leaves tomorrowmorning on my app, the Eurail app suddenly does not open anymore. It shows the opening screen and then closes after a second. I am stuck and have no proof that I have a valid Eurail-pass and my trips booked.

Does anyone have a fix/answer.

I sent a question to the Eurail-team just before this question. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don’t know which phone you have, but the Eurail app can be temperamental. I had that ‘stuck on opening’ before, and it resolved itself.

The usual advice is to close and reopen the app, or restart your phone, or log out and back in again.

Check also that the app is up to date, and that you have good connectivity on your phone.

Thanks for your effort. I restarted my phone (iPhone 8) but to no avail. And I cannot log out and in, I believe, as I cannot enter into the app...

FYI: I returned last Saturday late in the evening and until then the app had worked. It also worked during this week as I planned and activated my final trip.

During my trip in Italy I got a strange email: you have to do something in the app within 48 hrs, otherwise the app/pass will close (or something like that). It was strange as I had my trip back activated already, so did not need to plan anything anymore. I planned this final trip during this week, so have been active. Nor did I receive a same kind of warning “to be active otherwise".

Anyway, I fear I have to face train personel tomorrow, doubting my sincerity. But I have emailconfirmations of my reservations from 4 September ready, and hotelbooking and returntrip coming Tuesday. So if I was a fraud, I would have done some strange things.

Do you have another tip

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need to have Interrail access at least every 72 hours for your mobile pass to be active. Otherwise the app wouldn't work until you have access to Internet. That's why you got the warning e-mail.

You need to have Interrail access at least every 72 hours for your mobile pass to be active. Otherwise the app wouldn't work until you have access to Internet. That's why you got the warning e-mail.

Thanks Anna,

That is what I guessed, as I got a warning-email in Italy saying something of the kind. But I have been active this week on internet on the Eurail-app! And did not receive a second warning-email...

For fellow-travelers stumbling on the same problem and ending here, looking for help: the solution to my problem:

1. During an earlier vacation I had stopped automatic updates of apps, in order to not exceed my data-limit. This led to my Railplan-app having an update ready which was not downloaded.
  2. This was the first advice of the Eurail-helpdesk: update the app, switch your phone off and on - and see if it works. It did not work. Which led to the second advice, which did work:
  3. Remove the app and download it again. (For those fearing disaster if you do so: the data of your earlier card/trips are saved and return when you have removed-and-uploaded the app again)

Good luck!