Solved

if only taking 2 trains is it worth purchasing a Eurail card rather than buying single point to point tickets?

hi

We are only planning on taking 2 trains in August 2024 so not sure if it is worth getting a Eurail card. the trains we are taking are: 

from Paris to Amsterdam and would like to take the fast 3 hr 20 min  Eurostar bullet which would cost extra if we get the eurail card and sounds like it might be complicated to make sure we get the time we want (I believe it is about 32/37 euros more on top of the eurail card but not sure how easy it will be to get the day and time we want etc). The eurostar ticket if bought separately is anywhere from $158 the cheapest to about $300 so its expensive 

And from Amsterdam to Berlin on the direct ICE high speed train. This I can get for about $115 cheapest for times and day I want to go

Is it worth getting the eurail card or shall we just purchase two separate tickets?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 13 March 2024, 09:06

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A Eurail pass is not worth the money for just these two trips. 

The eurostar ticketfrom Paris to Amsterdam if bought separately is anywhere from $158 the cheapest to about $300 that days and time we want to go so its expensive 

The second train from Amsterdam to Berlin will be about $115 cheapest for times and day I want to go

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well make calculations then but I'm 100% sure Eurail won't be good value.

Paris - Amsterdam Eurostar services have a passholder quota so if prices are really that high the quota is likely sold out. In advance you should easily find tickets at 60-80€ per person.

EDIT : I picked a random August Saturday (busiest days of the month) and 2nd class is about 48-60€ per person while 1st is at 75€!

Amsterdam - Berlin won't cost over 100€ per person, especially if you book in advance. 1st class costs about 10€ extra, worth it.

What are your travel dates? I'll gladly have a look.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I suppose the prices OP mentioned are for multiple persons, since the post says "We are only planning [...]”.

thanks  thibcabe,

I am not finding those prices at all, if you want to go at the crack of dawn 6am, 7am there are some cheaper prices but not as cheap as you are saying.  We are 3 x 19-21 year olds that would rather travel later in the day if possible. what websites are you looking at. The dates are:

Either 10th or 11th August from Paris to Amsterdam

Either 16th or 17th August from Amsterdam to Berlin

We would rather take the fast direct trains

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

3 persons age 19-21 from Amsterdam to Berlin for 131,7 EUR on the 17th of August. That is less than 44 EUR per person. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Okay so those prices are to be expected with (the end of) the Olympic Games. Btw I hope you have a good budget for the stay in Paris!

I checked fares through eurostar.com.

It also looks like that not all Eurostar services after Brussels are available right now, probably due to engineering works that weekend.

If you wish to save money you could take a Eurostar train to Brussels, spend an hour or two there and continue later with the cheaper Intercity Direct services. Fares available on nsinternational.com.

There should be more of those Intercity Direct trains running this summer : 2h journey between Brussels and Amsterdam so totally competitive with Eurostar. Maybe @rvdborgt knows a bit more?

Amsterdam - Berlin : check bahn.com (website of the German Railways). I see 2nd class tickets for 40-50€ on your dates, 1st class for 60-70€ so good value!

In any case even the most expensive tickets will be "cheaper" than Eurail since you basically have (only) 2 journeys planned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There should be more of those Intercity Direct trains running this summer : 2h journey between Brussels and Amsterdam so totally competitive with Eurostar. Maybe @rvdborgt knows a bit more?

That has been postponed until (maybe) autumn.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just heard on the news today that in the second half of august (from 10th of August), the high speed line in Belgium will be closed for renewal works. Looking at it, I don’t think the changed schedules are uploaded yet. Might have an impact on prices too.

At first glance Eurostar (red, between Paris and Brussels and Amsterdam) is a bit on the expensive side, indeed.

Avoiding weekends on Eurostar makes it also (a lot) cheaper.

Alternatives:

• You can book a TGV to Lille, and continue by regional trains over Courtrai/Kortrijk, Ghent and Antwerp or Tournai and Brussels, slower but cheaper. In Antwerp or Brussels, change for the IC to Amsterdam.
  • OR you could take the connection over Maubeuge, Charleroi and Brussels to get to Amsterdam with TER and ordinary Intercities.

Btw, places above are also excellent, destinations (save for Maubeuge and Charleroi maybe)

When you buy this in advance, the total tickets won’t cost that much, especially when under 26. Apart from the TGV, the alternative connection doesn’t seem bookable yet. But I don’t think It’ll cost you more than 50 or 60 EUR per person to get to Amsterdam with ordinary tickets.

Ordinary tickets will still be your go, also when avoiding the expensive Eurostar (ex-Thalys) trains.

thanks

what websites are you all using? I am not finding these prices at all!

AnnaB what website/app are you using below???

And do you think the eurostar from Paris to Amsterdam is going to be effected by the line work in Brussels or not?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Anna is on DB Navigator app, tool of the German railways. You can also use bahn.com. 131€ is for 3 people.

Yes they will be affected : expect longer travel times but not necessarily cancellations. Schedules should be updated in the coming weeks.

where is the best place to buy Eurostar bullet train from Paris to Amsterdam, 3 hr 20 min train for 10th or 11th August? I am looking on eurostar.com and the prices are $196, I could get some for $158 yestrday but was waiting on some answers from this group and today they are now $196 either the 10th or 11th, on railninja.com even more.  That is why I was thinking Eurail would be cheaper….If you are finding the bullet train (3 hr 20 mins) from Paris to Amsterdamfor less that $196 please tell me the website and I will book there!

Thanks

thibcabe

Where did you find prices on eurostar for 75€ EDIT : You wrote, “I picked a random August Saturday (busiest days of the month) and 2nd class is about 48-60€ per person while 1st is at 75€!” for 10th or 11th August when we need it, the cheapest is $196

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Do not use Rail Ninja under any circumstances. It is a very shady third party website.

Use eurostar.com for fares. Always book through the company running the train, no bad surprises.

If you wish to stay with the direct train you'll have to accept these prices. It's unlikely they'll come down on the last weekend of the Olympics.

If I were you I wouldn't mind waking earlier that day to save money : 60€ for the 07:07 departure, 99€ for 08:25! Or even to take a non-direct train if it's half the price…

You can check yourself whether Eurail makes sense or not :

- 233$ (212€) for a 4 days Eurail Global Pass Youth (2 days extra which you might or might not need)

- 32€ Eurostar passholder reservation. There's a passholder quota so you'd have to book ASAP [edited wrong info]

- 3€ Amsterdam - Berlin reservation

Questions welcome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The random Saturday I checked was August 17th. Actually I'm quite surprised that 10-11th August is so much more expensive than every other date. I guess it has to do with the Olympics but still...

I'm equally surprised that there are still passholder reservations on all trains that weekend (there could be a bug somewhere in the booking system but don't quote me on that!).

So what I'd do since you're keen on the direct trains (understandable!) and since there are still passholder reservations available :

- buy 4 days Eurail Global Pass Youth

- directly after, book the passholder reservations on the Eurostar of your choice (10am, midday, etc.)

- decide later which train you'd like to take between Amsterdam and Berlin (3€ reservation, should be available at fairly short notice)

The 2 remaining pass days will probably be useful for a day trip outside Amsterdam or Berlin for example. Try not to lose them ;)

Still note that, as we said in previous posts, if money is the biggest concern take the earlier trains or indirect connections via Lille or Brussels. It will be cheaper in the end.

Feel free to ask anything (until I go to bed... or I'll answer tomorrow morning).