Solved

Jul-Aug 2024 train timetables not available when searched on eurail

• 24 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi All,

My family and I planning for a round trip to Europe Jul-Aug 2024 from Australia. 

I have been advised to get eurail global pass.

when I am searching in eurail website for the Jul-Aug 2024 to plan our trip from one point to another, no schedule showing up in Jul or Aug.

Why is that so?

and one more question is if the Global pass is independent of the travel dates and can be purchased anytime? How the activation works?

I appreciate your support.

Kind Regards

Alex (He/Him)

icon

Best answer by ralderton 24 January 2024, 09:18

View original

4 replies

There is a timetable change in Europe June 9th. You didn't mention where you'd like to go as some countries already did provide their summer timetable but some didn't. To plan, use a date before June 9th, there won't be many changes.

You may buy your railpass even just before your trip does start. But you didn't mention if you plan to buy a paper pass (of course this must be sent to Australia and has to be bought earlier) or a mobile pass for your smartphone. You may buy them right now for summer, too. When buying a mobile pass, you need to start your trip within 11 months so you are already in that time frame, too.

It's described here how to set up a mobile pass: https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

A paper pass needs to be activated at a major station or when ordering (by choosing a start date).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Most train companies won’t be open for bookings yet. A few publish their schedules 6 months ahead, but 2-3 months is more common. And sometimes less.

This page gives you some guidance https://www.seat61.com/european-train-booking-horizons.htm

As @Hektor says, you can just search for dates next week, and assume the times won’t change much. Search the train times on www.bahn.com - that’s the best place for timetables.

There is also a big Europe-wide timetable change in June, which pushes publication later still.

-

Seat 61 is a great website in general. I suggest you look at the Eurail guide there, and the page about seat reservations. There’s also some suggested itineraries, worked out by a proper human! I don’t know where you’re planning to travel, but to pick a random example: London to Vienna.

There is a timetable change in Europe June 9th. You didn't mention where you'd like to go as some countries already did provide their summer timetable but some didn't. To plan, use a date before June 9th, there won't be many changes.

You may buy your railpass even just before your trip does start. But you didn't mention if you plan to buy a paper pass (of course this must be sent to Australia and has to be bought earlier) or a mobile pass for your smartphone. You may buy them right now for summer, too. When buying a mobile pass, you need to start your trip within 11 months so you are already in that time frame, too.

It's described here how to set up a mobile pass: https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

A paper pass needs to be activated at a major station or when ordering (by choosing a start date).

Many Thanks 🙏 Hektor, very helpful both answer and the setup instruction. Much appreciated.

Most train companies won’t be open for bookings yet. A few publish their schedules 6 months ahead, but 2-3 months is more common. And sometimes less.

This page gives you some guidance https://www.seat61.com/european-train-booking-horizons.htm

As @Hektor says, you can just search for dates next week, and assume the times won’t change much. Search the train times on www.bahn.com - that’s the best place for timetables.

There is also a big Europe-wide timetable change in June, which pushes publication later still.

-

Seat 61 is a great website in general. I suggest you look at the Eurail guide there, and the page about seat reservations. There’s also some suggested itineraries, worked out by a proper human! I don’t know where you’re planning to travel, but to pick a random example: London to Vienna.

Many Thanks 🙏 ralderton, very helpful hints, highly appreciated.