Solved

lake como

• 30 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello!

we are thinking of traveling to Lake Como from Milan tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice fon where would be the best station to go to using our Eurail pass? Or if they have a suggestion of a better place? We have spent a couple of days in Milan and have done a day trip to Venice. We want to go somewhere within an hour from Milan. 
Also, I have tried booking through the Eurail Planner app but it wants to charge me to reserve seats on this route. The seat reservation charge is more than I would pay if I just bought tickets! Is there another site I can use to book?

Thank you!

Meghan

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 30 June 2023, 13:27

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are plenty of regional trains to Como that don't need any reservations.

The easiest ones to get to are Como Lago Nord (only a few metres from the lake) and Como San Giovanni (a bit further and a bit higher).

Use www.trenitalia.com for up-to-date timetables.

Userlevel 1

Yes I can find these trains but I am unsure if I can use them with my pass? If I type in Como Lago in the Rail Planner app it tells me there are no routes that match my search. If I type in Como San Giovanni it says seat reservations required. I’m sorry but this whole system confuses me so much! It says I can add a trip manually but I don’t know what this means?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

No worries.

I find results in the rail planner app, many reservation free trains. It should be included.

Just avoid the EC trains, as you need a reservation for these. But for such short distance it’s not worth the money. All other trains R or RE - trains Regionals you can take without reservation. Just add it to your pass, and go. As simple as taking a city bus somewhere.

Or could you post a screenshot of which results you get?

Adding manually means you type in the departure time, starting station and arrival station in yourself in order to create a ticket. The rail planner app only updates a couple of times a month, so it’s not always up to date. In that case you always have a back-up with adding it manually, in order to travel with a valid ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes I can find these trains but I am unsure if I can use them with my pass? If I type in Como Lago in the Rail Planner app it tells me there are no routes that match my search. If I type in Como San Giovanni it says seat reservations required.

Please update your app. I can find regional trains to both Como stations.