Solved

Lockers in stations

• 2 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Hi

We are doing train travel across Europe from 19 Feb to 9 Mar 24.  We have bought Eurail global pass on first class. We will have at least one big suitcase 20-30kg and one carry-on baggage which we need to take with us through the travel. I would like to find out the following:

1. Are there any locker facilities in the rail stations of Brussels, Bern and Zurich where we can keep the luggage temporarily (for few hours)
  2. If so, would that be free for those with Eurail global first class pass holders. 
  3. If not free, what would be the charges. 
  4. Would the pass holders eligible for any discounts on the fees to keep in the storage. 
  5. Are locker facilities available in the rail stations of all major cities in Europe

Thanks in advance

Sudar

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 2 January 2024, 22:45

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are lockers in Bern and Zurich : https://www.sbb.ch/en/travel-information/stations/services-station/lockers/lockers.html (you can pay by card)

Prices vary depending on time and size : expect 5-10 CHF for 6h.

For Brussels : https://www.belgiantrain.be/en/station-information/nmbs-stations/luggage-storage

Stasher (https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/stasher-luggage-storage/) offers some kind of Eurail discount but I wouldn’t use this service. Use the official lockers : it will be more convenient, cheaper and safer.

My last advice would be : do not pack too much! 20-30 kg suitcase + one carry-on suitcase is a lot for 3 weeks. It will be quite inconvenient no matter what you do.

Hi

We are doing train travel across Europe from 19 Feb to 9 Mar 24.  We have bought Eurail global pass on first class. We will have at least one big suitcase 20-30kg and one carry-on baggage which we need to take with us through the travel. I would like to find out the following:

1. Are there any locker facilities in the rail stations of Brussels, Bern and Zurich where we can keep the luggage temporarily (for few hours)
  2. If so, would that be free for those with Eurail global first class pass holders. 
  3. If not free, what would be the charges. 
  4. Would the pass holders eligible for any discounts on the fees to keep in the storage. 
  5. Are locker facilities available in the rail stations of all major cities in Europe

Thanks in advance

Sudar

There are lockers at the stations.

No, it isn't.

Bruxelles: 13,50 € per day for a big suitcase. Bern and Zürich 12 CHF to 15 CHF for the first 6 hours (6 CHF to 8 CHF for the next 6 hours) for a big suitcase depending on season. Smaller lockers for less available. 

Not in stations, just with Stasher at hotels / stores. Often much cheaper and easy to use but sometimes less convenient for short stays.

No, it depends. On same places there are lockers, on others staffed left luggages, on others nothing at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We will have at least one big suitcase 20-30kg and one carry-on baggage which we need to take with us through the travel.

20-30 kg for a suitcase is too much. On trains, all luggage is carry-on and you'll have to carry/ride it around yourself. It may also be too big to fit in some luggage racks.

If it's 1 suitcase for 2 persons, then spread its contents over smaller backpacks/suitcases (1 per person) and try to limit them to 10 kg each. On top of that maybe a smaller day backpack and that's it. Wash clothes halfway your trip; that limits what you have to take with you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Seat61 has good summary of left-luggage options in most major European stations. 

https://www.seat61.com/luggage-lockers-at-stations.htm

No discount or freebies for rail pass holders in the official station left-luggage offices. 

I echo the advise to check out Stasher or similar services only if there’s nothing suitable in the station. (Luckily, it looks like there is your stations). Word of warning - last time I was at Brussels, it was a massive queue to use an awful payment terminal, and not many available lockers.

Thank you all who responded. Your answer really helped us to plan our trip. 

I really appreciate your advice of minimizing luggage to carry. That is what we want to, however we have no choice. We fly from Sydney to London to attend one of our family members wedding. So we have party clothes as well why the luggage is likely to be bigger. After wedding we travel to Rome via Amsterdam, Paris, Geneva  and cities of Italy. We fly out of Rome to Sydney. 
if anyone knows a cheaper alternative if we can parcel our luggage to Rome from London separately so that we can have a light weight train travel, that would be the best option. Any suggestion?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are plenty of baggage forwarding companies. The ones that spring to mind are Sendmybag, Unibaggage, Airportr. I’ve never used any of them though

Thanks Ralderton very much. I will follow them up.