Solved

Milan to Salerno or Naples/Sorrento?

• 16 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi there, I am travelling with my 15-year-old daughter on June 8th from Milan. I am trying to decide between staying in Salerno or Sorrento, and to save time will get the fast train from Milan to Salerno or Naples (transferring to local Sorrento train).  We will then base ourselves in one place to explore for 3 days. I know this is not near enough time, so would appreciate thoughts on the benefit of location and ease of getting around via public transport to places of interest - particularly Pompeii (we won’t do Vesuvius). We have a Eurail pass that we will use for the fast trains, but believe it won’t work for local trains. As a Mum and daughter travelling alone, I am keen to ensure the safest options, where we can maximise our time, without running around too much and not enjoying just being in this beautiful part of the world. Any recommendations for favourite, reasonably priced accommodation in Salerno (walkable to train) or Sorrento would be appreciated. I have found a wonderful Agriturismo to stay near Salerno, but they’re recommending I hire a car to get to Pompeii etc but I’m not confident driving on the right-hand side. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

ps we fly out of Rome so will either train there via Naples or from Salerno. 

icon

Best answer by ralderton 17 April 2024, 00:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I only stayed in Salerno for one night, a quick stopover, but the B&B I stayed in was gorgeous, with a really friendly host, and fantastic breakfast. 10 minutes walk from the station. 100% would stay in the same place again.

Holiday Guesthouse
https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/holiday-guesthouse.html

I can’t advise on whether Salerno is a good base for the trips you mention, as I didn’t really use it that way. But I suspect it is. Buses and ferries to the Amalfi Coast. Direct trains to Naples and Rome.

Pompeii is a little harder from Salerno. Either train to Naples, then Circumvesuviana Railway. Or get to Sorrento, then pick up the Circumvesuviana Railway from the other direction.

https://www.seat61.com/places-of-interest/day-trip-to-pompeii.htm

In any case, it was a pleasant town, with nice enough spots to eat and drink & amenities nearby.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We have a Eurail pass that we will use for the fast trains, but believe it won’t work for local trains. 

Eurail works for regional trains, but not for public transportation like busses, metro and trams.