Solved

Monaco to Barcelona unable to make reservation

• 15 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone, 

I’m new to Eurail and looking forward to my trip in march. I made a couple of reservation already but I’m having trouble with my most important one as I need to make it from Monaco to Barcelona and I can’t make the reservation. any help would be greatly appreciated. on the side note, for the train that don't require a reservation do i only show them my pass ? Thank you

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 15 January 2024, 02:44

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Which train are you looking at precisely ?

The international AVE cannot be booked online for now. Reservations are available at Spanish ticket counters (not useful for you I know) and on the platform by speaking to the train staff. Availability shouldn't be an issue in March.

The cross-border TGV costs 25€ and should be available online.

Domestic French trains (Intercités/TGVs) tickets/reservations for the last March dates haven't been released yet, due on 24th January.

On TER regional trains yes you simply hop on and show the ticket whenever asked. I know that on this route there is often a large group of inspectors checking everybody right after departure. Log the train a few minutes before boarding to avoid issues.

The below itinerary would work best for me

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

These trains will become available on 24th January then.

As 3 trains require reservations it'll be pretty expensive :

- 10-20€ for the Nice - Marseille TGV (not faster than regional trains as there's no high-speed track)

- 10-20€ for the Marseille - Nîmes IC

- 25€ for the Nîmes - Barcelona TGV

Book through https://www.raileurope.com/en to avoid booking fees (2€ per person per train on Eurail quickly add up). Click on add railpass.

If you wish to save a little bit you could take the earlier TER :

- TER Monaco - Nice-Ville 10:50 - 11:11

- TER Nice-Ville - Marseille 11:25 - 14:03

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

These trains will become available on 24th January then.

As 3 trains require reservations it'll be pretty expensive :

- 10-20€ for the Nice - Marseille TGV (not faster than regional trains as there's no high-speed track)

- 10-20€ for the Marseille - Nîmes IC

- 25€ for the Nîmes - Barcelona TGV

Book through https://www.raileurope.com/en to avoid booking fees (2€ per person per train on Eurail quickly add up). Click on add railpass.

If you wish to save a little bit you could take the earlier TER :

- TER Monaco - Nice-Ville 10:50 - 11:11

- TER Nice-Ville - Marseille 11:25 - 14:03

There is also reservation free TER from there.

Marseille - Avignon Centre 14.41 - 16.05

Avignon C - Nimes 16.34 - 17.08

That would just leave the Nimes - Barcelona TGV to be booked and paid for.

@thibcabe Thank you for your information, in regards to booking in raileurope, in which part do I my pass in order to just pay for the seat reservation and not the whole ticket?

@Al_G Thank you for the alternative, I’ll look into those as I’m taking my parents and its been adding up as I’m making 3 seat reservations.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

On https://www.raileurope.com/ click on add railpass right under add railcard (only works on computers for now).

I agree that you could do the journey reservation-free as far as Nîmes quite easily. :)