Solved

My Children Not Together Italy

• 22 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello Everyone,

We just reserved tickets on Trenitalia, we are a family of 4, two kids 3 and 6. We got reserved seats in different coaches and far away from each other. I don’t get how they can separate us especially when we have kids. 

What can I do in this instance?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 22 April 2024, 06:35

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

They don't separate people unless the train is practically full. Which train on which date?

I guess you can call a Trenitalia contact number somewhere but otherwise ask people gently on the train if it's possible to move.

Did you buy tickets or reservations with Interrail/Eurail passes? With the former there's a seat map on Trenitalia website (2€ extra unless it's a base ticket, in that case it's free).

You might be able to refund the tickets and get new ones depending on which fare you bought.

Hi, 

Its Frecciarossa 9414 at 9:35 25/04/2024  Rome to Venice.  I got the reservations using Eurail Pass. 

It’s so hard to know if the  train is almost fully booked and it’s says there is 10% cancellation fee on the eurail website. 

Will the train inspector be friendly enough to understand the situation or at least allow my kids sit on my lap. Or will they fine us if they catch us sitting in an unassigned seats.  I heard of so many people getting fines left and right on the Italian trains. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That train is almost full, only a few seats left and none together.

You can see seat maps at the trenitalia website by starting a booking.

https://www.lefrecce.it/Channels.Website.WEB/#

As long as you are not blocking other people’s seats, blocking the aisle or otherwise causing a problem for other passengers the staff won’t be bothered if you have your children on your lap rather than their booked seats.

People get fines for not having reservations on compulsory trains or not having validated tickets or correctly filled out passes.

Thanks for the reply and showing me how to check the seat maps.

I see 10:35 has few seats available that are close together. But I went to change my reservation on eurail, and it doesn’t give me that time.  Can I call Trenitalia and somehow change it over the phone to the 10:35 ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I wouldn’t worry too much. You won’t get a fine for sitting in the wrong seat. People get fines when they have no ticket, or don’t validate it, or didn’t buy a reservation at all.

They’re used to people swapping seats. I would just board the train and wait to see if there’s a spare seat or someone can swap with you. After Rome Tiburtina (0945) there’s no stops until Florence (1111), so any spare seats will be empty for at least 1.5 hours. You can ask the train staff during that time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for the reply and showing me how to check the seat maps.

I see 10:35 has few seats available that are close together. But I went to change my reservation on eurail, and it doesn’t give me that time.  Can I call Trenitalia and somehow change it over the phone to the 10:35 ?

Just to be clear, you bought the seat reservations through the Eurail reservations website?

Indeed it looks like you can cancel and get 90% of the reservation cost back - I’ve never tried this though!

The 1035 does show up on the Eurail site for me.

You can also buy reservations on the Rail Europe website, and pay the extra €2 to select a seat on the 1035. But as I said above, I don’t think that’s necessary. I think you’ll be fine on the 0935 with your existing reservations and helpful fellow passengers.