Solved

Non-personalized reservations and station access for TGV trains

• 27 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello Community, 

I've bought several pass reservations for ICN and TGV trains in France thru several channels (interrail.eu reservation service,  sncf hotline, sncb and DB).

It was necessary in all cases to specify names and birth dates except for pass reservations ordered at DB Reisezentrum. These reservations are on ticket paper and didn't require personal details. Should I be worried that these tickets from DB are accepted? SNCF hotline said that passenger name registration is required by law for all long distance trains in France.

How will I get access to the station and pass the gates with these paper tickets issued by DB without any QR code?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 28 March 2024, 08:39

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There's no requirement to have a QR code on a reservation. Names are not checked at the gates either.

The only TGV pass reservations DB still sell are the €18 reservations for the TGV between Germany and France. As long as the pass reservation is correct, you should not have any problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It won't be an issue, otherwise DB wouldn't sell these tickets.

The pass still has your names, date of birth, etc.

If there are barriers you'll probably have to show the reservation to staff. They might want to see the pass too but they'll more likely check that onboard.

There's no requirement to have a QR code on a reservation. Names are not checked at the gates either.

The only TGV pass reservations DB still sell are the €18 reservations for the TGV between Germany and France. As long as the pass reservation is correct, you should not have any problems.

Thank You! Actually the DB reservation is a “Pass 2” and it was just 13€ from Paris to Saarbrücken, see in this thread: Pass reservation TGV Paris to Forbach / Saarbrücken | Community (eurail.com) - maybe that Pass 2 can only be bought to border-close stations in Germany like Saarbrücken or Karlsruhe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank You! Actually the DB reservation is a “Pass 2” and it was just 13€ from Paris to Saarbrücken, see in this thread: Pass reservation TGV Paris to Forbach / Saarbrücken | Community (eurail.com) - maybe that Pass 2 can only be bought to border-close stations in Germany like Saarbrücken or Karlsruhe.

Right, I forgot about those reservations. Interesting that it's less expensive than a regular ("Pass 1”) reservation. Pass 2 should be available from all German stations, but only for Flexpreis tickets, price depending on the distance.

Right, I forgot about those reservations. Interesting that it's less expensive than a regular ("Pass 1”) reservation. Pass 2 should be available from all German stations, but only for Flexpreis tickets, price depending on the distance.

Actually that Pass 2 was planned to use with an Interrail Global Pass, but not using an inbound or outbound journey day for germany. Pass validity for France should be fine I hope.