Skip to main content
Solved

Outbound/Inbound clarification

• 3 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

Im planning to interrail this summer. Im from the UK, looking to go: Belgium, norway, germany, austria and switzerland.

I just want to clarify if I will need the 7day pass ( to include going from london to belgium , then from switzerland to london) or if the 5day pass will be fine ( as in, will my outbound and inbound journeys included in the ticket?) 

Also, the trip will be in the summer. Have far in advance would you recommend making train seat reservations? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need a 7 day pass. The outbound/inbound are normal travel days that also can be used in your country of residence. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You have a set number of days. On two of those days (not extra days) you may travel in your home country.

Eurostar trains are very popular and Interrail reservations have a passholder quota. I'd book as soon as your dates are set, not necessarily now but not a week in advance either. There is no easy alternative.

Reservations are optional in Germany and Austria, although they'll be required on most cross-border long-distance trains this summer (due to extreme overcrowding in the last years). I'm not sure how far in advance you'd have to book but there are always reservation-free regional trains or other routes available.

Reservations aren't a thing in Switzerland. Simply log the train before boarding and hop on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Make the reservations as soon as you know your travel plans. Especially for the Eurostar as pass holder seats already are sold out on some departures during the Olympics in Paris.