Solved

Problems buying German Railway BahnCard

• 15 November 2023
  • 4 replies

My wife and I are hoping to go to Berlin by train for the Christmas Market.
To get the best price we want to buy two 25% discount BahnCards online from England, but the DB website will not enable me to create an account, which you have to do to get the cards.
Keeps coming up with 503 error.
Can you only buy these discount cards in Germany?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 15 November 2023, 17:43

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Error 503 is a server error at their end, nothing to do with you or your country of residence. 

You can set up an account an buy a BahnCard from outside Germany, so I guess try later, or with a different browser. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I guess you've made all sorts of calculations but in my opinion the best deal is :

- Interrail Global Pass + Eurostar reservations to get to Berlin

- Deutschlandticket : 49€ for a month, all regional trains and city transport included (you might not even need it if your focus is on Berlin)

I guess you've made all sorts of calculations but in my opinion the best deal is :

- Interrail Global Pass + Eurostar reservations to get to Berlin

- Deutschlandticket : 49€ for a month, all regional trains and city transport included (you might not even need it if your focus is on Berlin)

Thanks for the suggestion but that’s too expensive for a simple out & back trip.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It heavily depends on your travel date since Eurostar can be well over 150€ per person while the reservation has a fixed 30€ price (though when 170€ tickets are on sale the passholder quota runs out). 

Of course bought in advance (esp. on weekdays) a Eurostar + ICE ticket on bahn.com may be cheaper.