Solved

Questions on Eurail Pass

• 7 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I am travelling to Italy, Switzerland & France. During this time I will be using trains and buses to travel from one place to another.

My question here is if EURAIL pass covers the following train journeys completely or just provides some discount.

“Venice-Como-Zurich-Rhine Falls- Lucerne- Interlaken-Paris. I will also be travelling to Mt. Titlis, Grindelwald, Lauterbrannen and Lake Brienz.”

Additionally, Once I purchase the EURAIL pass can I directly hop on any train or do I have to make reservations first? If I need to make reservations then is there a particular website from where I do that or it can be any third party website like Omio, Trainline etc.? 

I understand that this question might have been asked multiple times but I am confused on this topic.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 7 May 2024, 18:50

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Some trains have mandatory reservations (Italian and French high-speed trains for example), some trains have optional reservations and some don't have any (suburban and regional services for example).

You'll need a reservation for Venice - Milan (unless you take the slower regional services) and Basel/Mulhouse - Paris.

Como - Zurich is easily done reservation-free with a change in Chiasso or Lugano. The direct train requires a 13€ reservation for 2 km until the border…

Reservations within Switzerland are rarely possible and unnecessary: nobody makes them. Hop on and sit wherever you want.

You get a 25% discount on Titlis (25-50% for other peaks) while boats on Lake Thun and Brienz are fully included!

Have a look at this guide: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Rail Europe (desktop) should work for all your journeys. Feel free to ask anything. :)

PS: you mention buses, those won't be included unless they replace trains (due to works). Where would you take them?