Solved

Seat reservation issues Madrid to Narbonne on AVI train

• 16 January 2024
  • 13 replies

I’m planning out my trip for March 24 and have managed to book seat reservation on all trains except AVI 9725 from Madrid to Narbonne in France. I am told a seat reservation is required but that it cannot be booked on the interrail website

Not available from Interrail.eu

This seat reservation can’t be booked on our website. Check 'More information' for other ways to book.

I have accommodation in Narbonne that can only be cancelled 2 weeks before the journey starts so I’m a little nervous not getting my seat reservation before then.

Any ideas on how I can reserve seats before I start my trip?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 16 January 2024, 14:25

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can only book these international AVEs at the ticket office in Spain. Just do that at the first Renfe ticket office you get to. If you're in Madrid, the ticket offices in Chamartín station are normally much quieter than at Atocha.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This train is annoyingly not available online for unknown reasons (RENFE...). You'll be able to get reservations at any Spanish counter (10€). It's unlikely that the train sells out.

What is your travel day ? There are often cheap advance fares and you could save the travel day + reservation fee.

Otherwise there are longer/more expensive alternatives.

Option 1 :

- AVE Madrid-Atocha - Barcelona-Sants 10€

- TGV Barcelona-Sants - Narbonne 25€

Option 2 :

- AVE Madrid-Atocha - Barcelona-Sants or Girona 10€

- R Barcelona-Sants or Girona - Cerbère

- TER Cerbère - Narbonne

Truly annoying about that AVE...

thank you thicabe and rvdborgt. your replies have put my mind to res

Ah i have the same issue tomorrow for part of my journey (Agen to Geneve) as the montpellier to Lyon leg is an AVI train and there seems no way of book a seat resevation.  Do i just try and buy one at Montpellier (i have 32 mins) or even Agen?

It’s not possible to buy this reservation at a ticket counter in france.

The only way which might work for using an AVE inside France with a pass is to buy a reservation with the train staff before departure or to use a TGV instead.

The AVE has still seats available for today, according to RENFE.com.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah i have the same issue tomorrow for part of my journey (Agen to Geneve) as the montpellier to Lyon leg is an AVI train and there seems no way of book a seat resevation.  Do i just try and buy one at Montpellier (i have 32 mins) or even Agen?

As I wrote previously, reservations for the AVI (international AVE) are only available at a Spanish ticket office. If you're in Spain before your journey, then you can buy it there, or else speak with the train staff before you board. And have a plan B.

Thanks for advice.  I had planned to ask the guard and it worked!  Nice lady charged me e20 and was lovely about it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for advice.  I had planned to ask the guard and it worked!  Nice lady charged me e20 and was lovely about it.

The AVE reservation is supposed to cost €10 though. Was there an on-board extra supplement?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The AVE reservation is supposed to cost €10 though. Was there an on-board extra supplement?

Yeah I've also heard about someone paying 20€ last week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yeah I've also heard about someone paying 20€ last week.

I also heard about it recently.

@PooleBarny could you maybe post a photo or scan of the reservation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@PooleBarny Thanks for the photo.

It's 1st class (Confort), maybe that partly explains it. Although that should normally be €13.

Do you have a 1st class or a 2nd class pass?

1st class. But she said that was 23 i think but seemed to let me off as i paid cash.