Solved

SJ Euronight from Sweden to Berlin - do I hang on or book with Snälltåget?

• 28 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I’m wanting to book the night train from Stockholm to Berlin on 7th July, SJ are slow to release tickets, it looks like track work is planned. On their website they say tickets are released until 2nd June so far but when I’ve looked it says ‘not available’ even for then.

Does anyone know if the track works are likely to impact the night trains? I’m mindful that I want to travel on a Sunday night too which may be an issue?

I’m wondering if I should just booked with Snälltåget instead, but the reservation costs are a lot higher.

Thanks 😊

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 28 March 2024, 13:15

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2

There is a slim risk, but the train should run.

Snaltaget is 39€, SJ train is 33€, not much of a difference in my opinion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

At least last year the Interrail/Eurail reservations with Snälltåget were refundable, so check if it is the same now. In that case you can make a reservation with Snälltåget and then, if you get a cheaper reservation with SJ, you just refund the Snälltåget reservation. 

Userlevel 1

There is a slim risk, but the train should run.

Snaltaget is 39€, SJ train is 33€, not much of a difference in my opinion.

I should've said, I'm wanting to book a private sleeping compartment for 2, which makes it more expensive! 

Do you have any experience of either train?

Userlevel 1

At least last year the Interrail/Eurail reservations with Snälltåget were refundable, so check if it is the same now. In that case you can make a reservation with Snälltåget and then, if you get a cheaper reservation with SJ, you just refund the Snälltåget reservation. 

Thank you, I'll see if that is still the case this year. Do the trains run on different tracks? Seems strange that one company can release tickets and the other can't? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you, I'll see if that is still the case this year. Do the trains run on different tracks? Seems strange that one company can release tickets and the other can't? 

They run on the same tracks. It's their commercial decision whether or not to open reservations before the timetable has been finalised. Both options have advantages and disadvantages.