Solved

Southeastern high speed: supplement needed?

• 5 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On the Southeastern website, it seems quite clear that you need to buy a supplement for their high speed trains:

You can buy a supplement and upgrade to high speed services if you have:

• A valid ticket or Season Ticket for any Southeastern service into London

However, this isn't mentioned in the rail planner app, the seat reservations page, the country page or the supplements page.

Am I correct in thinking that this information is missing in all these places? Or is there somehow an exception for pass holders that isn't mentioned on Southeastern website?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 8 August 2023, 19:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I have certainly used it multiple times over the years (with Britrail not interrail but there shouldn’t be any difference) and never had any issues, AFAIK It’s not required.

If you scroll down to the “Can I use my ticket on high speed”  question it says:

You will be able to travel on a high speed service if your ticket has one of the following routes:
  • PLUS HIGH SPEED – for tickets
  • ANY PERMITTED – for long distance tickets, for example if you are continuing your journey beyond St Pancras International
  • UPGRADE + HIGH SPEED – for supplements, when shown with an existing valid ticket for Southeastern services in and out of London
You can't use a ticket on the high speed route that says on it ‘Not Valid on high speed unless you've bought a supplement as well.

Interrail should be valid under the second condition.

I do recall looking into it when the HS1 line opened and these High-Speed fares/supplements were introduced and was confident that I could use rail passes with nothing extra.
If you want a better answer ask over at RFUK, their ticketing experts are far more knowledgeable than me about everything UK based.

I have no idea what “RFUK” means.

I posted this:

Hello,

I will be traveling from the USA in April of 2024.  If I hold a Eurail Global Pass how do I secure a reservation on your website?

Thanks,

Paul

Many of the train sites have a “Pass” dropdown.  Why on earth is the Eurail Global Pass NOT included in these dropdowns.  Is there not a Simple Way to “reserve” a seat when you hold a Eurorail Global Pass?  What am I missing here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have no idea what “RFUK” means.

I suppose Rail forum UK.

I posted this:

I will be traveling from the USA in April of 2024.  If I hold a Eurail Global Pass how do I secure a reservation on your website? Many of the train sites have a “Pass” dropdown.  Why on earth is the Eurail Global Pass NOT included in these dropdowns.  Is there not a Simple Way to “reserve” a seat when you hold a Eurorail Global Pass?  What am I missing here?

Which website is this about? Southeastern? (Since you're posting in this thread. Although the thread is about a different topic.)

Seat reservations in Great Britain can be booked via GWR, see this post:

If that doesn't work for you, then please mention route, date and departure time. Please note that it's way too early to book seats in GB in April 2024. That will have to wait until January at least.