Hi, I will be in Zurich in April 29-30 and plan to visit

Lucern 

Mt Titlis  (Gondola Ride)

Grindelwald

Interlaken 

Jungfraujoch

Bern

Lake thun 

honestly by the time squeeze, I’m thinking to skip the the Later four since we plan to take the Bernia express to Tirana the next day morning. Would I miss anything much? So for 1 or 2 days in Zurich (depending on if I skip the later 4) should I get the Swiss travel pass? If so, which one, what benefits do I get, how much it cost and where to buy it from? Please note, I also have global pass 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 18 April 2024, 18:42

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You already have the Global Pass so definitely do not get the Swiss Travel Pass. It would be a complete waste of money.

Are 29th and 30th April full days? I'd go to Lucerne and Titlis (25% discount with Eurail) or Rigi (50%) on day 1. The second day go to the Interlaken area -> boats on Lake Thun and Brienz are fully included in Eurail!

Or the other way around depending on the weather. Do not book anything in advance, you don't want to lose hundreds of CHF to end up in the fog...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @thibcabe , thanks. Yes we will arrive Zurich on 29th at 9am so we will have full days of 29 and 30. I was planning to first go to Lucerne to see the chapel bridge, lion monument, clock tower and then head to Mr Titlis for the gondola ride. I was looking the tickets for the gondola online and man, they are expensive. So are you suggesting not to buy them online? Are they available on the spot? That honestly is a good plan if possible.

So for the 2nd day (April 30), since I have the time squeeze, I have 2 options,

option 1 -  go to Grindelwald (the slide looks interesting), Interlaken and lake thun. 
option 2 - skip option 1 and take the bernia express to Tirano and enter Milan.

I know Bernia express is really worth it and do not want to miss it. So my question is since we will already experience a beautiful view through the Bernia express, is it worth to spend the 2nd day going Grindelwald, interLaken area? Or do have they anything else to offer? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Titlis is definitely not the most expensive out there! 70 CHF or so per person is a reasonable price for a 3000 m peak. Yes tickets are available on the day for the same price. Ask for the 25% Eurail discount there.

If you’re going to Milan on 1st May you have the whole 30th April to discover and enjoy the Grindelwald/Interlaken area, right? Or must you reach Milan by 30th April evening?

Note that the slide isn’t open until 8th May: https://www.pfingstegg.ch/index.php/en/activities/toboggan

Right now there is fresh snow, rather than melting snow! A few cold days after a very warm winter.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@thibcabe The issue is, my initial plan was to reach Milan on May 1st by 10-11am so that I can cover both Milan and Florence on the same day and go to Venice on May 2nd. But since I am adding the Bernia express I would not be able to reach Milan until 15:40 which mean I cannot do Florence on that day. That’s why I was thinking is spending 2nd day in Zurich (April 30th) to see Grindelwald, Interlaken really worth it considering that I will have the same (if not more) view if I take the Bernia express on April 30 so that my Milano, Florence plan does not get harm.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Busy plan indeed! With that limited time Milan doesn’t deserve a stop honestly. It’s a business city and Florence and Milan are both more beautiful and interesting.

It wouldn’t be the same views in Grindelwald or on the Bernina railway but it remains the Alps after all. You can always come back too. :)

I guess I’d go to Lucerne/Titlis on 29th April and immediately leave via the Bernina route on 30th. As you reach Milan by 15:40 there’s plenty of time to get to Florence in the late afternoon.

Have a nice dinner in Florence and visit the city the following day (1st May) before a late afternoon train to Venice.

Hope you’ll still be able to enjoy a bit the cities!