Solved

TER in France: do I need to make a reservation?

• 9 July 2023
  • 5 replies

I’m travelling from Haute-Savoie to Barcelona. TGV for part of the leg, already reserved seats. I’m getting conflicting advice about booking the TER though - do I need to reserve a ticket or not? I know that booking seats is not necessary.

icon

Best answer by Al_G 9 July 2023, 20:09

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Except for a few routes from Paris to Normandy there is no seat reservation possible on French TER trains, just add the journey to your app and take any available seat.

Thank you! SNCF are trying to tell me that I have to make a ticket reservation on a TER train, even if I have an interrail pass, but this can’t possibly be correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

SNCF are trying to tell me that I have to make a ticket reservation on a TER train, even if I have an interrail pass, but this can’t possibly be correct?

Which route? Only between Paris and Normandy you need a reservation in TER.

Note: reservation and ticket are 2 different things. Your pass is your ticket.

Multiple routes (Annemasse - Annecy - Valence) but none involving the Paris - Normandy line. Think its just some miscommunication along the lines with the SNCF agent. Thanks for helping!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Multiple routes (Annemasse - Annecy - Valence) but none involving the Paris - Normandy line. Think its just some miscommunication along the lines with the SNCF agent.

That very much sounds like it. No reservations needed (or even possible) on those TERs.