Solved

Train from Brussel to Paris via IC

• 5 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have a confussion when planning my trip from Brussel Midi to Paris Nord.

in rail planner apps it will show Thalys and i need to reservea a seat. However, when i turn on the ‘No seat reservation’ filter, the apps will propose IC train without seat reservation.

i tried to find the IC train schedule in Google Map and other EU train apps and website but could not find any of it. Only can see Thalys schedule 

i am worried if i proceed to save the journey in my trip via IC, the schedule might be false and no more seat available for Thalys can be booked on that day. 

Please help me. TIA

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 5 September 2023, 18:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Best make sure your app has the latest update, this was a bug/mistake in the data some weeks ago, but should've been fixed. Thalys was wrongly labeled as a non reservable IC.

You still want non-reservable option Brussels-Paris? There are roughly two options. 

One over Lille and Amiens by regional trains, and one over Charleroi and Maubeuge. 

When interested in the latter, I can conjure up some non reservable routes. But they will take longer of course. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This was an error in the Railplanner showing Thalys as reservation free IC trains but that should have been fixed. Make sure that you have the latest version of the app. 

Thank you soo much @BrendanDB and @AnnaB for pointing this out. I’m not aware that the apps have new version released.

i have no choice but to reserve the seat since i’ll be visiting Paris just for 1 day. Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can check availability and make Thalys seat reservations via the options mentioned in this link:

If there shouldn't be any availability left, go to Lille with either regional trains or take the ordinary TGV Brussels-Lille. For the TGV's to Lille, best buy an ordinary ticket as the reservation fee (32 EUR) is higher than advance ordinary tickets (19 EUR) weirdly enough.

In Lille you have frequent, rather regular (for French norms) connections to Paris with plenty of availability.