Solved

Train in UK over Easter

• 11 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Trying to reserve seats on Newcastle to Inverness on 12 Apr but no seats available. Seats are available if you  buy a ticket (just not reservation only). Family of 4, should we just chance it with no reservations? I need to go home on this date. . Are they likely to release more seats for reservations for interrail users before the date?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 12 January 2024, 01:13

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Use LNER website to make them free of charge. Please do not pay anything for British reservations! It’s the same process whether you’ve got a ticket or a pass. You’ll get assigned seats and if you’re not pleased with them you can change them through the email (for example you wish to get a table of 4).

At the moment they are only available until 5th April. Just wait a bit.

In any case reservations are optional in the UK (except on Eurostar, Night Riviera and Caledonian Sleeper) regardless of what planners say so you’re always allowed to board.

(Btw Easter is early this year on 31st March but you might mean Easter holidays)

Yes, Easter holiday period I mean..Tried LNER but I will wait. Definitely not paying for seats. Thanks for advice. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

LNER website/app allows you to make free reservations but only on LNER trains.

on www.gwr.com by making an account you can reserve for free on any train operator that offers them.

Or as you live in UK you can just go to a ticket office, show them your tickets/passes and get the reservations for free there.

You will still have to wait for the train to be opened to reservations, dates for this vary by operator and weekends can often be unavailable long after weekdays are released.