Skip to main content
Solved

Travel to Italy from Barcelona to Pisa

• 27 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Recommendation for traveling from Barcelona to Pisa Italy

What ticket should I buy for five days in Italy?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can travel from Barcelona to France, using either the TGV or AVE, with various connections in Southern France to get you toNice. From there you then take a TER to Ventimiglia in Italy, an Intercity to Genoa, and a fast Frecciabianca to Pisa.

Spain, France and Italy are not ideal countries for a pass, because you pay reservation fees for most of these trains on top of the cost of your pass. 

So consider buying individual tickets instead.

How much traveling will you be doing in Italy?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Barcelona - Pisa is a very long journey with an expensive and popular TGV into France (25€ seat reservation). There is an AVE run by the Spanish state company RENFE but it can only be booked at Spanish ticket counters.

It is not doable in a day, consider spending a night around Nice. :)

Depends whether it's for small journeys in Italy or not. When is your trip planned ?

You can travel from Barcelona to France, using either the TGV or AVE, with various connections in Southern France to get you toNice. From there you then take a TER to Ventimiglia in Italy, an Intercity to Genoa, and a fast Frecciabianca to Pisa.

Spain, France and Italy are not ideal countries for a pass, because you pay reservation fees for most of these trains on top of the cost of your pass. 

So consider buying individual tickets instead.

How much traveling will you be doing in Italy?

I will travel from October 11 to 16 and I will be in Italy for 3 days

Barcelona - Pisa is a very long journey with an expensive and popular TGV into France (25€ seat reservation). There is an AVE run by the Spanish state company RENFE but it can only be booked at Spanish ticket counters.

It is not doable in a day, consider spending a night around Nice. :)

Depends whether it's for small journeys in Italy or not. When is your trip planned ?

I will travel from October 11 to 16 and I will be in Italy for 3 days

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So unfortunately Italy is a long way from Barcelona (no high-speed railways for most of the journey). RENFE runs a useful morning AVE into France :

- Barcelona-Sants - Nîmes 08:22 - 11:54 63€ one-way

Tickets to the Italian border from Nîmes cost about 50€ one-way.

If only for those reasons I'd choose a pass.

If you choose the Interrail pass :

- AVE : 10€ seat reservation, only available at RENFE ticket counters

It is the most convenient and cheapest way to cross the border (unless you use slow regional trains). However you have to queue at a ticket counter...

For France and Italy have a look at : https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Like suggested above you can get to Nice in a day and cross the border the next day. Let me know for questions. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's also worth noting that you can go by overnight ferry from Barcelona to Civitavecchia near Rome. Takes a bit less than 24 hours.

Price around €40 + optional cabin

https://www.grimaldi-lines.com/en/

Possibly there are ferry lines to other ports, maybe Genoa?