Solved

Trying to Find the Right Pass for Netherlands Honeymoon

Hi Everyone me and my fiancé are going to be in Amsterdam in 2025 but we are trying to figure out what is gonna be the best rail pass for our trip. We will be traveling for 2 weeks and are planning on having our home base in Amsterdam and taking day trips to Rotterdam, Giethoorn, The Haugue, Brussels, and Cologne. I have only been to Europe once and we went to Ireland but we rented a car so I am very new to the whole train system thing. Please any advice or tips would be really appreciated!  

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 19 July 2023, 19:11

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

2025 is still a long time to go. A pass may not be the best solution, but it's best to check that in 2025 because fares and offers can change each year. E.g. subscription-based travelling in the Netherlands may have become easier by then (linked to a contactless payment card).

You should also think about where you're staying. Amsterdam is not in the centre of the country and has become very expensive because it is overrun with tourists. Think about Utrecht or Leiden.

2025 is still a long time to go. A pass may not be the best solution, but it's best to check that in 2025 because fares and offers can change each year. E.g. subscription-based travelling in the Netherlands may have become easier by then (linked to a contactless payment card).

You should also think about where you're staying. Amsterdam is not in the centre of the country and has become very expensive because it is overrun with tourists. Think about Utrecht or Leiden.

Sorry I meant 2024. So would it be a better idea to just make a bunch of day trips to Amsterdam? We have a lot of things we want to do in that city and it looked like the rail system in Amsterdam would make it easier to visit a lot of other places. Would it be easy to get to all of the places I mentioned from the 2 places you suggested? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sorry I meant 2024. So would it be a better idea to just make a bunch of day trips to Amsterdam? We have a lot of things we want to do in that city and it looked like the rail system in Amsterdam would make it easier to visit a lot of other places. Would it be easy to get to all of the places I mentioned from the 2 places you suggested? 

Leiden and Utrecht are well-connected. But if you want to do a lot in Amsterdam then it may make sense to stay there of course. If you can book in advance, the hotel may not be too expensive.