Solved

Who should reimburse for the hotel I couldn't stay in because train was delayed?

• 24 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I was going to take the train from Oslo to Stockholm on March 23.

I had reserved and paid for my hotel in advance for my stay in Stockholm. Everything seemed fine, but when I arrived at the platform, I find out that the train would be 160 minutes delay.

Since it was cold, I wanted to wait at the station instead of waiting on the platform. I didn't leave the station for 2 hours. When I went to the platform again 2 hours later, I could not see any information about the Stockholm train.

Since it was late, the information desk was closed, so I went to the security guard and asked about the situation.

The officer said that a lot of people like me had the same problem and that they did not know what happened to the train.

After waiting for about 1 more hour, we learned that the train arrived early and left without any information.

This train was the last train to Stockholm for 23 March. So there was no other train I could take and I was stranded in Oslo. Also, since I couldn't go to Stockholm, I couldn't go to the hotel I paid for. I suffered financial loss because the hotel did not refund my money. Also, since I did not have a place to stay in Oslo, I stayed in Oslo for 1 extra night. This required me to pay for a hotel again.

Since I was in Norway and the train company was in Sweden, Norway did not take any responsibility and told me to contact Interrail and the Swedish company.

The Swedish company said that they would not compensate me for any inconvenience because I did not buy the ticket from them, and that Interrail should deal with the issue.

I know that Interrail will not refund my hotel expenses even if I am a victim, but I still wanted to write here.

I am extremely upset and devastated about the issue. I feel helpless about what I should do.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 24 March 2024, 15:23

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Most important to know is: did the train leave before or after the scheduled departure time (as indicated on your reservation)?

If it left before that time, then SJ should have organised accommodation in Oslo (or have someone organise it for them).

When they don't do this, then in principle the ticket seller is responsible to deal with any claims, since you have an agreement with them. If you bought your pass from Eurail (the company selling Interrail and Eurail passes), then they should do that. (That doesn’t necessarily mean that they pay in the end, but they should reimburse customers where needed and then deal with the responsible operator(s) themselves).

File a claim here for your extra expenses (and for the delay):

https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/delay-compensation

I know they write they don't want to pay for overnight accommodation when you get stranded, but I very much doubt that this is legitimate.

If they also say "no", then use the ODR mentioned in article 9.2 about complaints here:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/terms-conditions/booking-conditions

Do let us know what happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If a train is delayed, it is your responsibility to check when the train actually departures. At least in Sweden, the announcement for delayed trains always says: please note that the departure time can be changed to an earlier or later time.

But the train should not depart before the time originally scheduled for the departure. 

If a train is delayed, it is your responsibility to check when the train actually departures. At least in Sweden, the announcement for delayed trains always says: please note that the departure time cam be changed to an earlier or later time.

I assume that’s just what happened. It did go into Sweden 114 minutes late and did arrive in Stockholm 129 minutes late. So “arrived early” does mean it did leave earlier than the announced delay of 160 minutes but not earlier than the scheduled departure time.

I'm sorry for the OP, but it should also be clear that an estimated delay can change. Definitely nothing to get a hotel room paid for. Even if it's uncomfortable, you have to stay close to the platform and can't go somewhere else for two hours. Again: Really sorry about what happened...