Solved

Zurich to Lucern

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

From Zurich, What is the cheapest way to go to lucern and mt titli for tomorrow w/o Global Pass? I have one day left in my Global Pass but I am saving that for going back to Paris from where my flight to home is. Google maps is showing to take IR70 from Zurich Hb to Lucerne. And then IR from Lucerne to Engelberg. Would it be better / cheaper to rent a car for the day? 

icon

Best answer by MartinM 2 May 2024, 08:25

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nothing will be cheap. Don't rent a car for sure.

2 options:

- 2 x full-fare return tickets Zurich - Lucerne - Engelberg. 80 CHF.

Or what I'd do:

- 1x full-fare Saver Day Pass 119 CHF

- 1x Companion Day Pass 39 CHF (special offer)

The day passes are valid all day all across the country: trains, buses, trams, boats, cable cars to villages,...

All those tickets available on sbb.ch or SBB app. Buy the Saver Day Pass as soon as possible as it could sell out any minute.

Even without using a pass day you can still get 25% discount on Titlis tickets with Eurail. Go to the counter in Engelberg and show your pass.

Otherwise (what I'd do) get option 2 and plan a fully included trip via Rigi:

- Zurich - Arth-Goldau train

- Arth-Goldau - Rigi Kulm cogwheel train

- Rigi Kulm - Vitznau cogwheel train

- Vitznau - Lucerne boat

- stop for a while in the city

- Lucerne - Zurich train

Tomorrow it's supposed to be overcast and -10°C in Titlis. You'll spend hundreds to end up in the fog. On the other hand Rigi might have some snow, clearer weather and it's cheaper anyway...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Best will be in that case if you buy through sbb.ch a Sparpreis ticket (valid ONLY for the choosen train). For tomorrow it is available from 33,2 CHF without a reduction card. So there and back would be around 66,4 CHF in the best case. Flexi ticket would be 80 CHF (return).

With Interrail/EUrail you get also a discount on the ticket. It should cost you “only” 72CHF in that case. See here: https://shop.titlis.ch/ (add Interrail/Eurail when you buy the ticket).

Just a personal opinion: in my opinion there are better places to visit in Switzerland than Titlis. It is nice, but overpriced and not as special as e.g. Jungfrauregion IMO.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Best will be in that case if you buy through sbb.ch a Sparpreis ticket (valid ONLY for the choosen train). For tomorrow it is available from 33,2 CHF without a reduction card. So there and back would be around 66,4 CHF in the best case. Flexi ticket would be 80 CHF (return).

With Interrail/EUrail you get also a discount on the ticket. It should cost you “only” 72CHF in that case. See here: https://shop.titlis.ch/ (add Interrail/Eurail when you buy the ticket).

Just a personal opinion: in my opinion there are better places to visit in Switzerland than Titlis. It is nice, but overpriced and not as special as e.g. Jungfrauregion IMO.

what about Interlaken? How to go cheap there from Zurich Hb? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Get a Saver Day Pass now and decide later where you want to go. It could sell out.

The saver day pass is valid all across the country. You could take a boat on Lake Thun, etc.

160 CHF is a "good" price for 2 people last minute.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Same as above → best to check on sbb.ch and as suggested by @thibcabe it might be best option to use the full-fare saver day pass + 1x companion day pass → it will give you the best flexibility and you can go up to Mürren with it (using a free cablecar to Grütschalp and then the nice train to Mürren). Also you can use the boats on the lakes + the city transport free of charge with it...